Call to action issued 2014-03-04 from "Friends of the Santa Cruz 11 (SC11)" [http://santacruz11.wordpress.com] [email@example.com]:
Let's Keep The Pressure On!
Join us in calling Bob Lee’s office and telling him what we think about
his handling of the Santa Cruz 11 case, and urging him to drop the
As Bob Lee's office continues to make decisions that draw out this case and cost the taxpayers of Santa Cruz thousands upon thousands of dollars, it is time for us to let them know what we think!
This coming Tuesday, March 11th join us in calling in to Bob Lee's office and telling them to Drop The Charges! From 8-12 and 1-5 call the District Attorneys office at (831) 454-2400 and let them know their actions aren't representing you. The DAs office exists to act on behalf of the residents of Santa Cruz County and has a duty to respond to our opinion.
Some talking points you might use are:
* The overly high and mounting expense of the case (more than $100,000 of taxpayer money in efforts to reimburse $20-25,000 to Wells Fargo)
* The fact that Wells Fargo inflated clean up costs and is a giant corporation with billions of dollars in profit every year
* The toll on the community - the case is already 2 years old and the impact on the defendants and the community as been detrimental and tangible
* The fact of that these charges have "chilled free speech" - negatively affecting our communities right to express our opinions and organize
* The fact that they are pursuing 4 individuals for an action that involved over 100 people (and the fact that judges have already dropped the charges on 7 of the original 11 shows lack of substantial evidence)
* The fact that there is no evidence that any of the defendants caused or supported vandalism
* The fact that in court hearings prosecuting assistant district attorney Greg Peinado has not been empowered to make decisions, or offer reasonable deals, because of pressure from those higher up in the DAs office (perhaps due to Wells Fargo's financial relationship to Bob Lee's election campaign)
Thank you for your support and for taking the time to follow this case as it continues its long and twisting course. It is often a strategy of the court to draw things out and strain defendants to the point of taking whatever is offered, and we see vocal and on going support as important not only to the defendants but in highlighting the poor state of our justice system.
Thank you for calling in on the 11th, please help spread the word. Also feel empowered and encouraged to pick up the phone and call Bob Lee's office anytime, all the time, and remind them that we are watching and to Drop The Charges!
SUGGESTED SOLIDARITY PROFILE PICTURE -
I'm sorry to filter reality through the facebook sieve, but here is one way to support myself and the other 3 defendants currently facing a felony jury trial.
Hundreds of folks entered the building at 75 River St. Lots of things happened there, including talk of creating a community center. During the 3 days people were in the building, someone painted slogans and tags on some of the wall surfaces. It has been admitted by the DA that there is "no evidence" pointing to these defendants. Yet here they are, more than 2 years later, their lives up-ended as they face a 2 month long trial.
If you were in the building or even if you weren't, please use this image as your internet profile picture in solidarity with these 4 people.