From: Dr. John Colby-Cohen
To: Nancy Lentz, Administrative Assistant to the Superintendent, Santa Cruz City Schools District
December 07, 2014
Dear Ms. Lentz:
Given that there was a recent domestic terrorism attack in Aptos, California (near Santa Cruz), and then the local news media produced conflicting accounts of the recent cyber-threat to execute a mass shooting at Santa Cruz High School — being an independent postdoctoral researcher and social media blogger who shares the results of my research with the media and the federal government — I want to zero in on what actually happened with this email threat.
To memorialize my telephone conversation with Santa Cruz City Schools District Superintendent Kris Munro about he threatening email, she told me it was stored in a Gmail account on a Google server, not on your own computers nor on any computers seized by the Santa Cruz Police Department (SCPD). Therefore this email is not an investigatory record because the original is not possessed by the SCPD nor by your agency.
When I have used Crowdfunding to raise the requisite funds, I will launch a California Public Records Act (CPRA) lawsuit against your agency to obtain a copy — due me under state law — of the original email threat.
To understand why this is so important to the public, especially Santa Cruz parents whose children attend your schools, please inspect the conflicting news pieces linked to here: [https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxTKPdmfF4X8TE9hSjdGS1NSTDA/view?usp=sharing]
SCPD spokesperson Steve Clark lacks any shred of credibility after slandering progressive City Council candidate Leonie Sherman as a dangerous anarchist for conducting non-violent protest at the 1999 WTO meeting in Seattle.
Relevant links . . .
* "SCPD Deputy Chief Steve Clark still claims Leonie Sherman is a dangerous anarchist" (2014-11-13) [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twInY4FA2RI&feature=youtu.be&list=UUJUJ8capNp6vlAf8tMnWosQ] [http://www.peeep.us/2488a3b9].
* "Police union: Santa Cruz City Council candidate Sherman is an anarchist" (2014-10-21) [http://www.ksbw.com/news/central-california/santa-cruz/police-union-santa-cruz-city-council-candidate-sherman-is-an-anarchist/29255150] [https://archive.today/PNROE]
* "Santa Cruz Police attempt to discredit Leonie Sherman by labeling her an anarchist" (2014-10-21) [https://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2014/10/21/18763128.php] [https://archive.today/JY6Ct]
* SCPD endorsements for Santa Cruz City Council, press release [https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxTKPdmfF4X8SG1ZYms0NkJqV00/view?usp=sharing]
* "I support Leonie Sherman — ask me why!" [https://www.facebook.com/groups/iSupportLeonieShermanAskMeWhy/], archived 2014-12-12 [https://archive.today/w0b84]
The SCPD still hasn’t responded to my CPRA request about Clark potentially throwing the City Council race to candidates supported by domestic terrorism group Take Back Santa Cruz (TBSC).
Clark seemed to be colluding with TBSC members who used Internet forums and letters to the editor to amplify Clark’s slanderous attack in an echo chamber — like a conspiratorial political hatchet job — which likely turned the election to candidates supported by TBSC, the SCPD and its police officers. The City Council refused to force SCPD Chief Kevin Vogel to immediately terminate Clark for interfering in electoral politics, a possible violation of both ethical police conduct and (federal and state) voting rights laws.
I ask for the following under the CPRA:
* once more a copy of the threatening email referenced in these news pieces and by unscrupulous political puppet master SCPD Deputy Chief Steve Clark, which you told me was in a Gmail account on a Google server.
* a copy of every notice, letter, poster, flier and correspondence provided to parents and the student body of Santa Cruz High about the mass shooting threat.
* copies of all protocols, policies and plans to mitigate the mass shooting threat and to safeguard Santa Cruz High students, staff, and faculty.
* all correspondence — including electronic, audio and video content — between officials, employees, volunteers, students (and their families), your agents, contractors and representatives with members of the news media and with officials, employees, volunteers, agents, contractors and representatives of any government agency, body, committee, commission, board, department, task force, division. agent and team about the mass shooting threat made to Santa Cruz High
* all correspondence — including electronic, audio and video content — between officials, employees, volunteers, students (and their families), your agents, contractors and representatives with any outside organization, business, community group or (private) individual about the mass shooting threat made to Santa Cruz High.
I am willing to pay a fee of up to $35 for this request. If you estimate the cost of completing this request will exceed that amount, please contact me first before completing it with a fee estimate. If this request would entail special searches which would incur search fees to me, please contact me first with a fee estimate.
In the public interest — because I will provide these records to the news media, the USDOJ, the U.S. Senate, Governor Jerry Brown, the CADOJ and the California state legislature as well as posting them on these Facebook groups —
— I ask you to waive all applicable exemptions and applicable fees (for search, retrieval, redaction and duplication).
Moreover, the City of Santa Cruz and Vice Mayor Don Lane allowed their contractor the Homeless Services Center (HSC) — which the City partially administers — to bankrupt me through an act of disability based discrimination towards my former disabled homeless client Ms. Laura Boyd and against me (based upon my association with her and my advocacy for her). I had to take out a $300 payday loan after the HSC reneged on its promise to reimburse me for housing Ms.Boyd at the Oceania Motel when HSC staff broke a commitment that Ms. Boyd would receive emergency housing on November 3rd, 2014, which I was informed about that same day, requiring a split second decision on my part.
Thus I ask you for a reasonable disability accommodation — I can provide a physician’s letter upon request — to waive any and all fees you might charge me to complete this CPRA request.
Please confirm receipt of this CPRA request ASAP via email and telephone voicemail.
Thank you for fulfilling my CPRA request to investigate the material facts about the threatened mass shooting attack on Santa Cruz High School, specifically the threatening email referenced by serial liar and political puppet master SCPD Deputy Chief Steve Clark.
John E. Colby, Ph.D.
proposed nonprofit: [https://www.facebook.com/GorillaAdvocacyInc]
theme video: [http://youtu.be/5LhmQ-DwLTU]