John Colby's Freedom of Information Campaign against Human Rights abuse in Santa Cruz [link]
* Santa Cruz retaliates against Human Rights advocate John Colby [link]
* Human Rights abuse in itty-bitty Santa Cruz [link]
"Maps of inclusion/exclusion zones in Downtown Santa Cruz"
2014-02-25 message from Dr. John Colby to Bren Lehr, MMC, Santa Cruz City Clerk Administrator:
Dear Ms. Lehr,
I am writing to determine exactly what the exclusion and inclusion zones are which the Santa Cruz Police Department (SCPD) is selectively enforcing against disabled (homeless) people, especially against my clients Ms. Katherine Wenzell and Mr. Blake Wahlquist. Mr. Wahlquist was recently the victim of a robbery by a ring of methamphetamine abusers (who have been stealing smart-phones) and Ms. Wenzell is a witness about the SCPD using a homeless methamphetamine abuser Michelle LNU AKA Tiger to disrupt a free speech protected protest against the Downtown Santa Cruz Starbucks for discriminating against homeless people on the arbitrary basis of appearance (which is illegal per California's Unruh Act).
Tiger informed Ms. Wenzell that she was being protected by the SCPD for disrupting this protest as well as for targeting my sister with threats and harassment (causing my sister extreme emotional distress because of her disabilities — PTSD, anxiety, panic disorder, as well as physical disabilities making her vulnerable to physical attack). These claims by Tiger were recorded — to my understanding — on digital audio in front of several witnesses. The SCPD seems to be intentionally targeting my sister's disabilities to prevent her from being an objective witness to protect Ms. Wenzell and Mr. Wahlquist and to assist them in exercising their disability rights.
Furthermore, you have ignored my previous California Public Records Act (CPRA) requests for maps about Downtown "inclusion zones" and "exclusion zones", dating back several years.
Considering all this, I ask for the following under the CPRA.
The most current maps showing the areas where the following activities are excluded or are permitted by municipal ordinance and/or declaration of the Santa Cruz CIty Council or any other City authority:
* chewing gum
* using a display device
* using any device related to selling
* artistic expression
* using a blanket
* wearing any type of clothing
* holding any kind of sign or display
* accepting contributions
* making noise
* playing music
* drinking any kind of beverage
* laying any kind of bag, box, container, or device down
* performing any first amendment protected activity
* if you determine that any or all or the information qualifies for an exemption from disclosure, to note whether, as is normally the case under the Act, whether the exemption is discretionary, and if so whether it is necessary in this case to exercise your discretion to withhold the information.
* in case you decide that any of the information is exempt, please explain how the interest in not disclosing the information outweighs the public interest in disclosing it.
* if you determine that some but not all of the information is exempt from disclosure and that you intend to withhold it, that you redact it for the time being (while citing the statutes exempting the redacted elements) and make the rest available as requested.
* if there is any information in these records which is private and you decide it is exempt information, yet it is in an otherwise disclosable document, please segregate the private information by redacting it (citing the statutes exempting the redacted elements), while providing me the rest of the unredacted record.
* If these records are available in an electronic format such as standard video, audio and image formats, MS Power Point (PPT), Apple Keynote, Portable Document Format (PDF), standard spreadsheet formats like MS Excel File Extension (XLS), MS Word Document (DOC), Hypertext Markup (HTM), any standard database format (like those listed here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_file_formats#Database), Rich Text Format (RTF), plain electronic text (TXT) or native email formats — like AOL for Windows, Apple Mail, Claris Emailer, Compuserve, EML, Entourage, Eudora, Maldir, MBOX File, Mulberry, Neoplanet, Outlook, Outlook Express, Outspring, Powertalk, Quickmail Pro, Thunderbird, Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail and Yahoo Archive! — or as links to the Internet then I ask that they be provided to me in one of those forms, preferably in their native format.
* I am willing to pay a fee of up to $20 for this request. If you estimate the cost of completing this request will exceed that amount, please contact me first before completing it with a fee estimate. If this request would entail special searches which would incur search fees to me, please contact me first with a fee estimate.
In the public interest — because I plan to provide these records to the news media, Santa Cruz County District Attorney Bob Lee, Congress, Governor Jerry Brown, the California state legislature, state and federal agencies and investigators, as well as posting them on these Facebook groups:
I ask you to waive all applicable exemptions and applicable fees (for search, retrieval, redaction and duplication). I especially ask you to waive all fees because discriminatory acts by the City of Santa Cruz and its contractors forced me to pay about $300 from my January SSDI payment to house Laura Boyd and her 10 year old daughter Portia — both disabled — in a disabled guest room at the Pacific Inn on Ocean Street.
As of mid last month, I only had about $6 in my checking account — I was forced to borrow a payday loan to cover these costs, placing my finances in debt. About 10 days ago, I borrowed another payday loan for food, medicines, supplies for my emotional assistance cats and to pay my delinquent Medicaid premiums. Recently my cellphone service was deactivated because I was unable to pay the bills because of the extreme poverty the City of Santa Cruz imposed on me.
Please confirm receipt of this CPRA request immediately via fax and email.
To show that the City, its staff and its leaders are willing to come clean about their outrageous, illegal ordinances which SCPD officers, Community Service Officers and Downtown Hospitality hosts have been using to run disabled (homeless) people out of the Downtown Hospitality District, and even out of the City of Santa Cruz, I ask you to fulfill this CPRA request without obstruction, deceit, evasion and trickery.
Thank you for helping me enforce the human/civil rights of numerous injured (disabled) homeless people, as well as preparing criminal complaints against the SCPD, its officers and City Attorney John Barisone with Santa Cruz County District Attorney Bob Lee, California Attorney General Kamala Harris, the FBI and U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder.
Sincerely yours, [signed] John E. Colby, Ph.D.