John Colby's Freedom of Information Campaign against Human Rights abuse in Santa Cruz [link]
* Santa Cruz retaliates against Human Rights advocate John Colby [link]
* Human Rights abuse in itty-bitty Santa Cruz [link]
"CPRA request for Santa Cruz Downtown tickets/citations/notices to appear"
2014-02-16 message from John Colby to Jacqueline Drechsler, Records Supervisor and Debbie Lentini, Records Supervisor, Santa Cruz Police Department [155 Center Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060] [831.420.5886] [Jdrechsler@cityofsantacruz.com]:
Dear Ms. Drechsler; Ms. Lentini:
I am writing because Katherine Wenzell — I represent and advocate for her — who has a serious emotional disability has been, we allege, harassed and abused (with threats of repeated citations and then illegal citation under color of law) in retaliation for me recently naming Community Service Officer (CSO) Bradley Barnett as a respondent to my U.S. Department of Justice (USDOJ) discrimination complaint against the the Santa Cruz Police Department (SCPD) and the City of Santa Cruz for his violating Ms. Wenzell's disability rights. Moreover, since I brought this alleged retaliation to the attention of City Attorney John Barisone and Vice Mayor Don Lane last Friday, while it continues, I must conclude it is also retaliation for my advocacy for disabled family Laura Boyd and her 10 year daughter Portia. My advocacy for them recently revealed serious fraud and public corruption by the City of Santa Cruz which apparently (illegally) owns the Santa Cruz National Guard Armory while the CIty misrepresented to HUD that the State of California owned this property.
I also allege Ms. Wenzell is being retaliated against for my advocacy with the SCPD and the City of Santa Cruz to remove criminal residents aided and abetted by The John Stewart Company from the Mission Gardens Apartments where nineteen year old Carl Reiimer was murdered 100 feet from my bedroom window four years ago — Mission Gardens owners received about two million dollars from the City of Santa Cruz in 2009 while John Stewart Company Senior Vice President Mari Tustin is a long time City planning commissioner who publicly endorsed (and funded) two Santa Cruz mayors and three sitting City Council members.
After my email and online fax service were temporarily disrupted about two weeks ago, I made a verbal California Public Records Act (CPRA) request to you the day Ms. Wenzell presented the SCPD with a letter authorizing me to represent and advocate for her as per Deputy City Attorney Caio Arellano's instructions to my sister Patricia Colby for the same purpose.
I left you two voicemails asking you to confirm receipt of this verbal CPRA request, but you never called me back. You have impeded me in assisting Ms. Wenzell to exercise her disability rights under federal law as well as impeding me from providing evidence to federal law enforcement agencies (since I intend to file color of law complaints with the FBI against CSO Barnett, SCPD officers, SCPD officials and Santa Cruz City Attorney John Barisone).
Considering all of this, I now make the same CPRA request in writing, expecting the reply legally due me under state and federal laws. I ask for copies of all tickets, citations, and notices to appear issued by SCPD officers, SCPD CSOs, Downtown security guards and Downtown Hospitality hosts from between January 01, 2013 and today, February 16, 2014.
* if you determine that any or all or the information qualifies for an exemption from disclosure, to note whether, as is normally the case under the Act, whether the exemption is discretionary, and if so whether it is necessary in this case to exercise your discretion to withhold the information.
* in case you decide that any of the information is exempt, please explain how the interest in not disclosing the information outweighs the public interest in disclosing it.
* if you determine that some but not all of the information is exempt from disclosure and that you intend to withhold it, that you redact it for the time being (while citing the statutes exempting the redacted elements) and make the rest available as requested.
* if there is any information in these records which is private and you decide it is exempt information, yet it is in an otherwise disclosable document, please segregate the private information by redacting it (citing the statutes exempting the redacted elements), while providing me the rest of the unredacted record.
* If these records are available in an electronic format such as standard video, audio and image formats, MS Power Point (PPT), Apple Keynote, Portable Document Format (PDF), standard spreadsheet formats like MS Excel File Extension (XLS), MS Word Document (DOC), Hypertext Markup (HTM), any standard database format (like those listed here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_file_formats#Database), Rich Text Format (RTF), plain electronic text (TXT) or native email formats — like AOL for Windows, Apple Mail, Claris Emailer, Compuserve, EML, Entourage, Eudora, Maldir, MBOX File, Mulberry, Neoplanet, Outlook, Outlook Express, Outspring, Powertalk, Quickmail Pro, Thunderbird, Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail and Yahoo Archive! — or as links to the Internet then I ask that they be provided to me in one of those forms, preferably in their native format. I am willing to pay a fee of up to $25 for this request. If you estimate the cost of completing this request will exceed that amount, please contact me first before completing it with a fee estimate. If this request would entail special searches which would incur search fees to me, please contact me first with a fee estimate.
In the public interest — because I plan to provide these records to the news media, Congress, Governor Jerry Brown, the California state legislature, state and federal agencies and investigators, as well as posting them on these Facebook groups:
I ask you to waive all applicable exemptions and applicable fees (for search, retrieval, redaction and duplication). I especially ask you to waive all fees because discriminatory acts by the City of Santa Cruz and its contractors forced me to pay about $300 from my January SSDI payment to house Ms. Boyd and her daughter Portia — both disabled — in a disabled guest room at the Pacific Inn on Ocean Street. As of mid last month, I only had about $6 in my checking account — I was forced to borrow a payday loan to cover these costs, placing my finances in debt. I just borrowed another payday loan for food, medicines, supplies for my emotional assistance cats and to pay my delinquent medicaid premiums.
Please confirm receipt of this CPRA request via email.
Thank you for fulfilling my CPRA request to enable me to gather evidence to help exercise Ms. Wenzell's civil rights under federal law as well as helping me provide federal law enforcement agencies with evidence for criminal complaints against the SCPD and City Attorney John Barisone.
Sincerely yours, [signed] John E. Colby, Ph.D.