Tune in Thursdays 4 to 5pm (PST), at 89.5FM in the northeast San Pablo Bay Area, or online at [is.gd/kJ1EUt].
Hosted by Dr.G., Minister of Information of the Northbay MDS.
Be a Community Journalist with our Community Journalist's Notebook [link].
Send news & info to [NorthbayMDS@) gmail.com]!
Northbay Uprising News scripts [link].
Archived webpages at (archive.org) and at (archive.is) are available even if the original is taken down. News links are provided for educational purposes only, and do not constitute an endorsement of political tendencies, or, of foreign governments. Circumvent "Error 451" [archive.is/WOZXx] by using the proxy server at [webproxy.to] or, by using Tor Browser [is.gd/r18EVD].
Spotlight from the Northbay Uprising Media Collective
VIDEO: PROJECT CENSORED DIRECTOR MICKEY HUFF AT RALPH NADER’S HISTORIC BREAKING THROUGH POWER EVENT IN WASHINGTON D.C., MAY 24TH 2016
Watch Project Censored Director Mickey Huff speak at Ralph Nader’s historic Breaking Through Power event in Washington D.C. on May 24th 2016, at Constitution Hall. The talk focuses on Huff’s research and publications with Project Censored and the importance of critical media literacy and civic engagement in education as a means of supporting and achieving equity and social justice in the US and beyond, from local to global.
Recommended Radical Newsletters:
* "Popular Resistance" newsletter (popularresistance.org): Memorial Day Lesson - End War [archive.is/Ax46c]
* * (subMedia.tv): Anarchist News & Resistance Updates, latest (s)edition "The Crisis of Democracy" [submedia.tv/stimulator/2016/05/24/the-crisis-of-democracy]
A list of gatherings, workshops, and educational events in the greater Bay Area region
Thursday, June 9, 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM
Fukushima Response is a regional network of concerned individuals working together to spur demands for action in response to the devastated Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant in Japan. Our public informational events and citizen monitoring program seek to "Make the Invisible Visible" and we support on-going efforts to close Diablo Canyon, California's last commercial nuke. Come early and enjoy a treat to support our host.
See [fukushimaresponse.org] or call (707) 823-9203 for more info.
Coffee Catz, 6761 Sebastopol Ave., Sebastopol
June 11th International Day of Solidarity with all Anarchist Political Prisoners [is.gd/cfu4L1]
Trash the TPP
Saturday, June 11, 10 AM - Noon
Trash the TPP meets to push back against the Trans Pacific Partnership, a "trade" deal that threatens our welfare, the environment and our democracy. More info: [meetup.com/Trash_the_TPP/]
Peace and Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Avenue, Santa Rosa
Sonoma County Taxes for Peace
Sunday, June 12 , 4:30 PM
We meet to educate and support around resistance to War Taxes. Contact Ruth Paine for info: (707) 576-6654. Also see [nwtrcc.org]
Friends House, Commons B living room, 684 Benicia Dr, Santa Rosa
Veterans for Peace monthly meeting
Monday, June 13, 7-9 PM
Veterans For Peace is an international organization made up of military veterans, military family members, and allies. We accept veteran members from all branches of
service. We are dedicated to building a culture of peace, exposing the true
costs of war, and healing the wounds of war. For more info,
visit: [www.veteransforpeacesonoma.net] or email [VFPChapter71@)gmail.com]
Santa Rosa Vets Memorial Building, 1351 Maple Ave., Santa Rosa
JUNE 15th Global Day of Action Demanding Justice for Berta
To all organizations, social and popular movements and to the civil society of the world:
The death of Berta Caceres has filled us with indignation. Pain is with us, but also accompanies us the strength of his thought and work and the need of justice. The principles she fought are the ones that will save this humanity, so we ask and call you to participate in a protest action in which our voices unite to demand justice for Berta Caceres, justice for Gustavo Castro, justice for COPINH and justice for the Honduran people.
On June 15 in Honduras organizations and social movements, institutions, ordinary people will march to demand the immediate establishment of an independent research group that, in a transparent, thorough and comprehensive way, investigate the murder of our sister and companion.
This day we want our sisters and brothers in other countries of the world to join us conducting protest actions against the embassies of Honduras in their countries demanding the following:
1. The immediate establishment of an independent research group led by the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights to clarify this vile crime and ensure the prosecution of all those responsible.
2. The immediate and definitive cancellation of the concession granted to DESA company, constructor of the Hydroelectric Project "Agua Zarca" in Rio Blanco.
The actions taken by the Honduran government and its agencies do not lead to justice, on the contrary are ensuring that this crime go unpunished.
Let's get together and put an stop to death, impunity and injustice.
With the ancestral force of Berta, Lempira, Mota, Etempica and Iselaca
we raise our voices full of justice, freedom, dignity and peace!
Justice for Berta is justice for the world!
Let us Wake up, humanity, we are out of time!
Learn more [archive.is/d3yrU]
The 20th Commemoration pf The Life of Tupac
June 18th, Saturday, 3 to 7pm
at The New Parish Courtyard [1741 San Pablo rd., Oakland]
Block Report Radio - The People's Voice on the Airwaves and Internet.The Block Report is a radio show that was conceived to teach Black people worldwide about ourselves and issues that are important to us. We believe it is our responsibility to teach our people, as well as people that support us, about us. We don't need translator-journalists to tell our story. We speak on our on behalf, unapologetically
DJ FUZE is a hip-hop DJ / Music Producer, who is most known for his work in the early 1990s with the multi-platinum, P-Funk inspired rap group, “digital underground.” Fuze co-produced several songs with d.u. band leader "Shock-G, on digital underground’s grammy nominated, platinum debut album entitled “Sex Packets.” Most notable of these songs is the bay area classic “Freaks of the Industry,” which still receives regular rotation in clubs and on urban radio stations throughout Northern California. Fuze was the DJ for digital underground during the groups entire platinum period, and thus toured with the likes of Public Enemy, Big Daddy Kane, L.L. Cool J, Naughty By Nature, Kid and Play, Queen Latifah, 3rd Base, 2 Live Crew, Ice Cube, Ice T, Too Short, Heavy D and The Boys, The D.O.C., EPMD, BBD, etc. FUZE also appeared alongside digital underground in the Hollywood cult film flop entitled “Nothing But Trouble,” which starred Dan Akroyd, John Candy, Chevy Chase, and Demi Moore.
DJ FUZE also collaborated with the late superstar Tupac Shakur (R.I.P.) on his platinum debut album entitled “2PACALYPSE NOW.” In addition to naming the album, FUZE produced the song “Violent,” an immediate Oakland “trunk hit,” due to its bass heavy, dancehall inspired production, (Junior Reeds classic “Pirate Anthem”), as well as its revolutionary lyrics. DJ FUZE appeared several times alongside Tupac in the award winning documentary film “Tupac Resurection,” as well as in Tupac’s first two music videos, including “Trapped” and “Brenda’s Got A Baby.”
Shut Down Nazi Rally!
Sponsored by AntiFa Sacramento [antifasac.weebly.com]
Get ready for Sacramento on Sunday, June 26th. The Golden State Skinheads, Traditionalist Workers’ Party, the KKK, and other groups are holding a rally at the State Capitol [archive.is/vLWM2]. Be there. This is shaping up to be the largest white power rally on the west coast in some time.
* "Battle for Sacramento: AntiFa Sacramento to confront Traditionalist Worker's Party on June 26th" (2016-05-22, antifascistnews.net) [archive.is/7eIq7]
* "National Mobilization: Blockade and shut down White Supremacy in Sacramento" (2016-05-25, itsgoingdown.org) [archive.is/380s4]
PROTEST THE NATO SUMMIT
JULY 9, 2016, 12 NOON
ABOLISH NATO - The NATO summit is taking place right now in Warsaw, Poland. Generals and other unelected bureaucrats are planning for endless war! STOP THEM!
We will have a Moment of Silence for the victims of NATO violence
- In Los Angeles at Grand Park, Downtown Los Angeles. Grand Park is located in Downtown Los Angeles. Grand Park stretches from The Music Center on the west to City Hall on the east between First and Temple
- In San Francisco at United Nations Plaza
Sponsored by the California Peace Coalition [www.lapeacecouncil.org]
For more information, contact us:
- In So. Cal. [213-448-4363]
- In Nor. Cal. [707-561-0683]
Post Office Box 741104 Los Angeles, CA. 90004
Petaluma Progressive Festival
Sunday, July 31, noon-5:00 PM
Note, this annual event is typically held in September and this year is being held in July!
This year the San Francisco Mime Troupe returns! Featured Speakers to be announced.
Free event! For more information visit: [progressivefestival.org]
Walnut Park 201 4th St., Petaluma
Veterans For Peace Annual Convention
at Clark Kerr campus of University of California Berkeley, CA
Aug 11-15, 2016
Remembering the Kellogg Briand Pact
International Day of Peace
First SOAW bi-national convergence
at the U.S./Mexico border in Nogales, Arizona
Armistice Day in your city
Stories are reviewed and provided by Northbay MDS Committees and Affiliates
BAY AREA SOLIDARITY
Updates on campaigns for Peace, Justice, & Freedom across the greater Bay Area, Norcal, and Socal
* (2016-05-24) [archive.is/r5xDu]: Her name was Wonda Jones...
She was a cub of the Black Panther Party...The only child from the ferocious womb of her legendary mother Safiya Bukhari...She wrote an introduction to her mother's legendary memoir...She was a founding officer for the SafiyaNuh Foundation, named after her mother and the late Sheikh Albert 'Nuh' Washington...the Avenging Angel of the Black Panther Party!...
She went to the Land of the Ancestors last week after fighting an incredible fight with breast cancer!...
The fruit does not fall far from the tree goes the saying...
Because of her long illness, Wonda did not have life insurance; hence there is no money for her funeral and burial. As her family movement members, we need to help her family pay for her funeral. So please send whatever you can afford to her cousin, Kenneth O. Jones, 97-17 134 St., South Jamaica, NY 11419-2326.
Or, to make it easier for folks to donate to Wonda's funeral expenses, you can go to [thejerichomovement.com] and use the donate button to contribute by Pay Pal.
Thank you for your contributions.
* "San Francisco mourners honor Jessica Williams, condemn racism" (2016-05-30, workers.org) [archive.is/2CQao]
RIP JESSICA WILLIAMS - Killed by SFPD May 19, 2016...Jessica was just 29 yrs old...she was unarmed...#sayhername
This is the young woman killed by San Francisco Police last week. she was pregnant a fact that the media has neglected to report. They claim she was in a stolen car but that has not been confirmed. We do know that the car was incapacitated when they shot at her from the side. That means they were not in front of her or behind her when they opened fire. we demand Justice for our Murdered loved ones.
* 3 photos (2016-05-27) [archive.is/IydYo]: #SayHerName #JessicaNelson #theydidnthavetokillher
Photos: [archive.is/VRhro] [archive.is/AoA4O] [archive.is/dTfHx]
* At Carnival San Francisco (2016-05-29):
* "Appeals Court Rules Against Father Of Oscar Grant" (2016-05-19, by Derrick Broze) [archive.is/wDG5o]
* "Salinas Protest of Hillary Clinton" (2016-50-26, by AutumnSun, Indybay.org Newswire) [archive.is/xeEMJ], organized in-part by the Watsonville Brown Berets!
* "Indigenous People Lead March Against Monsanto in San Francisco" (2016-05-22, Indybay.org Newswire) [archive.is/UU8Yk] [begin excerpt]: On May 21st, Aztecs led the march, Winnemem Wintu tribal leader Caleen Fisk came from the Shasta County area to speak, and Tongans from East Palo Alto represented the Pacific Islands. The March Against Monsanto on Saturday moved along the Embarcadero, ending at the Aquatic Park in San Francisco.
This past weekend in San Francisco, Aztecs led the march, Winnemem Wintu tribal leader Caleen Sisk came from the Shasta County area to speak, and Tongans from East Palo Alto represented the Pacific Islands.
Caleen said that when the Shasta Dam was constructed during World War II the salmon runs were blocked and Chinook salmon became endangered. Salmon is key food for bears and the environment's natural flow was disrupted. Salmon are of key importance to native Americans spiritually as well. Caleen said that in native tradition the salmon gave humans voice.
Another Native American woman leader said it is time for men to step, not down but aside, and work with native women who are carrying on traditions. Native women are at the forefront of working to save the environment as well as the culture. The speaker, from the East Bay, announced a salmon protection mega event is being planned for September in Oakland. People will be invited to walk, run, boat, or ride to the group action.
In Hawai'i, Mauna Kea summit is a water source and sacred land. It is threatened by the expansion of the world's largest observatory for optical, infrared, and submillimeter astronomy. Tongans at the rally identify as cousins of the Hawaiians who are fighting to protect the aina, the land. [end excerpt]
* (2016-05-31, Maile Hampton) [archive.is/yut76]: A picture of a comrade from the anti trump rally in San Diego the other day. If trump thinks he can come spread his racist sexist islamophobic anti immigrant hate speech to the Capitol of California and it will be taken lightly, he's very welcome to come see how people from all races, religions, and genders react to fascism and hate speech. Wherever you go trump, you will be met with a strong opposition by the people. I know Bernie is coming to speak at Davis but at this point at the state our country is in, we must be focused on Uniting and fighting against white supremacists, against islamophobes, against people who scream anti immigrant hate speech, against misogynists, against Donald Trump and everything he stands for. There is power in numbers, and we must use that power to make it clear Trump isn't welcome in the Capitol of California, and he isn't welcome anywhere around the country. People all over have been holding it down with strong opposition whenever he comes to speak, now it's our turn.
* "More Nazi Posters Found in Berkeley by UC Campus" (2016-05-18, via Indybay.org) [archive.is/2irqF]
* 2 photos [archive.is/8zn4u] [archive.is/VKIRO], are these the stickers of a "domestic terrorist"? Found on a local resident's Jeep, someone wanted to know if these were representing an anti-Leftist militant. What do you think? The stickers refer to the militia movement nicknamed "The 3%s (Three Percenters)", whose membership individually are known to support death-squad activities against open socialists and environmentalists, although the person who owns the vehicle is known not to engage in or advocate for such activities, and purports to be for freedom against socialist government tyranny.
A recent seed ball planting at Berkeley Post office occurred, June 3.
As you may know the USPS has erected a metal fence closing off our community garden at the Berkeley Post Office. The plants and trees, which were donated and planted by many of you struggle on. "In the spirit of earth resilience we will continue to do over the fence watering and would welcome your support with seed ball planting and watering."
BAY AREA SOLIDARITY: Updates on campaigns across the Nation!
* "Anonymous Hits New York Stock Exchange, World Bank, The Fed, And Vatican — Total Media Blackout" (2016-05-25, by Jay Syrmopoulos) [archive.is/zuzUP]
* "Thousands rally to denounce Illinois Gov. Rauner’s anti-worker agenda" (2016-05-20, peoplesworld.org) [archive.is/2sW7v]
* "Mainstream Media And Government Remain Silent As Activists From All Over The US Deliver Aid To Flint" (2016-05-29, by Claire Bernish) [archive.is/sWIWZ]
Solidarity with the Hoopa Nation!
* "Hoopa Valley Tribe: San Luis Settlement Agreement Will 'Condemn Tribe to Poverty' " (2016-05-30, by Dan Bacher) [archive.is/wlI3Y]
* "You PAY to read research you fund. That's LUDICROUS" (2016-04-16, wired.com) [archive.is/jlOSi]
* "Meet the Robin Hood of Science; The tale of how one researcher has made nearly every scientific paper ever published available for free to anyone, anywhere in the world" (2016-02-10, bigthink.com) [archive.is/hYKzw] [begin excerpt]: On September 5th, 2011, Alexandra Elbakyan, a researcher from Kazakhstan, created Sci-Hub, a website that bypasses journal paywalls, illegally providing access to nearly every scientific paper ever published immediately to anyone who wants it. The website works in two stages, firstly by attempting to download a copy from the LibGen database of pirated content, which opened its doors to academic papers in 2012 and now contains over 48 million scientific papers. The ingenious part of the system is that if LibGen does not already have a copy of the paper, Sci-hub bypasses the journal paywall in real time by using access keys donated by academics lucky enough to study at institutions with an adequate range of subscriptions. This allows Sci-Hub to route the user straight to the paper through publishers such as JSTOR, Springer, Sage, and Elsevier. After delivering the paper to the user within seconds, Sci-Hub donates a copy of the paper to LibGen for good measure, where it will be stored forever, accessible by everyone and anyone. [end excerpt]
LUCHA PARA LA NUEVA AZTLAN!
* video (2016-05-27, Watsonville Brown Berets): "A man with a sign that says no woman is fit to be a president and presidency is a man's job. Get the fuck out of here with your misogynistic sexist backwards thinking. Men like you is what gives us all a bad name!"
The Brown Beret member was disciplined, yet militant, in not engaging in a physical altercation, instead focusing on the guerrilla theater of tearing apart a Tea Party militant's sign as a symbol of taking out the trash.
* Brown Berets face police at Dump Trump Rally, in Fresno. 3 photos (2016-05-27):
MEXICA TIAHUI!!!! CHICANO NATION ALL DAY EVERYDAY!!!!
* (2016-05-29, Coatlaxopeuh Popocatepetl):
The Mexica are the largest indigenous tribe in America.
Chicanos are the reason ethnic studies are in your schools.
The plan of Aztlan is to be an independent nation. It's own nation. I am a God fearing man. Just as some believe in karma or science the universe has a way of correcting the errors that we have knowingly brought upon this planet. America started as a dream and to hundreds of millions has been a nightmare. Aztlan is a dream and the results are yet to be seen. It's Sunday and like everyday a great day to be Xicano.
Mexica Tiahui! Tlazocamati Ometeotl!
Once the proposals, and legal work have been internationally recognized by all the U.N. representatives then everyone will understand why will have to move forward with a revolution... Not a ceremony, not a sweat, a revolution... A revolution that our people having have been easing in peacefully. Although we know it won't be accomplished without bloodshed. My great grandparents fought for La Revolucion... I will also fight for La revolucion. The best thing about dreams is waking up and making them a reality.
Aztlan is the reality. Los Angeles is the Capital, or, focal point. We are here. Our process of liberation is focused on Nation Building.
Institutions of Self-Government are recognized by the United Nations, as defined by the USA State Dept.'s legal statement supporting unilateral declarations of independence (2009-07) (.pdf) [is.gd/T5CfaE], and by the UN International Court (2010-07-22) [archive.is/mc6sX].
Chicano Yaqui Coyotl writes: i like being chicano. and i like the thought that i have Mexica blood in me. That being said, not all chicanos are Mexica. Over the past 20 years of traveling around and conversating with chicanos all over the country, which isn't a lot even though its all over the country, i have foung that a a lot of chicanos are not Mexica. This is not a bad thing or a complaint. And for me its not something to be mad about, but for me , its kind of cool to know. Why? because Amongst all chicanos are members of many many tribes. Not just Mexica. I understand the word is of Nahuatl origin. But the membership has members from many many tribes who ended up living amongst each other in the cities along with Mexica desecendants. Because of indigenous blood and so having indigenous ways to begin with, they naturally had same experience and talked the same talk and of course looked exactly the same . Picking up the same lifestyles. I have met Mayan chicanos, chumash chicanos, Oaxacan chicanos, apache chicanos, yaqui chicanos, huichol chicanos, tlaxcalan chicanos, and native texan chicanos. The Texan native tribes are very very similar to us in experience. One of the tribes called Estok, aka Carrizo Comecrudo, directly influenced the chicano lifestyle and slang. WHen i was there, one of the older guys was telling me all about it. Est'ok People are half of chicanismo. Trip out ay?
SOLIDARITY WITH THE NEW AFRICAN NATION!
Black Power! Revive the Community! Defend the Nation!
* "It’s an ‘epidemic’: Young black men killed by US police at highest rate in year of 1,134 deaths" (2015-12-31, rawstory.com) [archive.is/rHzDu]. Comment (2016-05-27, Mama Ayanna Mashama): The math says three black men a day are killed by police or extrajudicial officers. That computes to one black man killed Every 8 Hours. We must do the count for our Sistars as well. #Every8Hours #SayHerName
The following article is written as a persuasive dismissal against the previous article, and is meant to reinforce the idea that the call "Black Lives Matter" is racist and mis-informed, and to act as a cover for continued coordinated terrorism against the New African Nation by security agencies across the USA.
* "The myth of the cop killing ‘epidemic’ " (2016-01-02, nypost.com) [archive.is/85PXP] [begin excerpt]: It’s the narrative that’s given rise to the protest movement Black Lives Matter and to a growing public mistrust of the police in general. From Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., to the recent shooting of a middle-aged woman and a teen in Chicago, the body count seemingly keeps rising, exacerbating racial tensions and keeping the nation on edge. And each incident is breathlessly reported by a media determined to show that America remains deeply, irredeemably racist.
Problem is, it’s simply not true.
Last week, The Washington Post published a study of the police shootings that took place in 2015. Likely they intended the story to be shocking — as on Dec. 24, 965 people were killed by police! Instead, the report quells the notion that trigger-happy cops are out hunting for civilian victims, especially African-Americans. [end excerpt]
* "Police Escort Black Merit Scholar Out of Graduation After Refusing to Remove Kente Cloth" (2016-05-26, atlantablackstar.com) [archive.is/gZEnr]
* "New Study Finds Banks Are Cheating Black People Out of Mortgages Based on Race, Not Income" (2015-11-19, atlantablackstar.com) [archive.is/okTL3]
information collected by the Worker's Defense Committee [is.gd/VOkmLr]
* "Labor and allies discuss launching a “Take Down Wall Street” campaign" (2016-05-18, peoplesworld.org) [archive.is/Yii4J]
* "First of May Anarchist Alliance: Detroit Event in June: IWOC, Solidarity and Prisoner Resistance"
PDF of flier, here. [is.gd/SuC5js]
The Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee (IWOC) is a campaign to defend our Sisters and Brothers locked up and on the inside. The campaign works to build solidarity and aid for those in prison. IWOC works with their families, communities and allies on the outside. From everyday needs to the direct support for prisoner resistance, IWOC works to build the movement against injustice! ---- Prisoners are on the front lines of the struggle against wage slavery and forced slave labor conditions, where refusal to work while in prison results in inhumane retaliation. The Industrial Workers of the World (IWW) has created IWOC which functions as a liaison for prisoners to organize each other, unionize, and to build solid bridges between prisoners on the inside and fellow workers on the outside. IWOC understands the importance of organizing with prisoners so that prisoners can directly challenge prison slavery, work conditions, and the system itself.
Join Us For Discussion Of IWOC
And It’s Organizing Possibilities In Detroit
Guest speaker is former prisoner and current national organizer for IWOC
Friday June 10th, 7PM
Old St John’s Church, 2120 Russell Street, Detroit
(Russell St south of Gratiot in the Eastern Market district)
IWOC: [iwoc.noblogs.com] [iwoc@)riseup.net] [facebook.com/incarceratedworkers]
& First of May Anarchist Alliance: [m1aa.org] [m1@)riseup.net] [hfacebook.com/1MayAA]
* "A Network You Can Trust" (2016-05-26, labornotes.org) [archive.is/4fKVh] [begin excerpt]:
Verizon executives can’t have been happy to see the types of solidarity on display over the course of the 45-day strike. Even as he pulls in $18 million a year himself, CEO Lowell McAdam has tried to convince the public that his employees are selfish and overpaid.
Every act of solidarity has cut against that message, showing that this is everyone’s fight.
Strike solidarity birthed a new coalition in Staten Island: Sustainable Staten Island, which unites CWA Local 1102 with union bus drivers, nurses, and professors, plus members of environmental and community groups.
Meanwhile in Port Chester, New York, strikers have come to the aid of Firefighters Local 1971, whose members are fighting to get their jobs back after the village board unexpectedly voted to ax all eight of its career firefighters.
CWA Local 1103 has lent the firefighters space in its office. Local 1971 members table outside the local every day, collecting signatures for a referendum to let Port Chester residents decide the fate of their fire department. [end excerpt]
* "Interview with striking Verizon workers in Pittsburgh" (2016-05-21, liberationnews.org) [archive.is/RVp7q]
* "Workers crash Nabisco shareholders meet to confront Oreo CEO" (2016-05-23, peoplesworld.org) [archive.is/b9Dh6]
* "Long-Term Organizing Bears Fruit for Grocery Local" (2016-05-27, labornotes.org) [archive.is/VtfXK] [begin excerpt] As industry standards erode in grocery, at least one local is bucking the trend. In Washington state, members of UFCW Local 21 in April ratified a contract with the region’s biggest grocery chains that protects health care premiums, raises wages, boosts the employers’ contribution to their pension, improves transfer rights, and expands union leave time. And they did it without a strike, settling even before their old contract expired.
What’s Seattle’s secret? Why weren’t the grocery chains looking for a fight this year with the country’s largest UFCW local?
The answer lies in the years Local 21 members have put into steadily building power, through activism at work and alliances in the community.
“We believe that membership action moves the bargaining table, more than pounding the table moves the bargaining table,” says President Todd Crosby. [end excerpt]
* "Seattle’s bus drivers ‘forced to wear adult diapers or carry a jar on their route because toilet access was so bad’ ; Bus drivers forced to wear diapers and urinate in jars on their routes; Restrooms not open all hours buses run and some routes have no toilets; Drivers searched for other restrooms but were punished for being late; King County Metro Transit had to replace 60 urine-soaked driver's seats; Company was fined $3,500 and have to find a solution for the problem" (2014-11-24, dailymail.co.uk) [archive.is/HVSzd]
* "Overwhelming vote for UFW by blueberry workers at McFarland ranch with 627 workers" (2016-05-22, United Farm Workers) [archive.is/9O8co] [begin excerpt]: Blueberry workers who struck for three days this week overwhelmingly voted Saturday, May 21 to be represented by the United Farm Workers during a union representation election overseen by the state Agricultural Labor Relations Board. It was the second union election victory in a month. Farm workers at two related Oxnard, Calif. companies with a total of 240 employees voted for the UFW on April 20 at Hiji Bros., Inc. celery company and the Seaview Growers Inc. nursery. [end excerpt]
* (2016-05-29, UFW) [archive.is/3fTlg]: Alex sent us this picture he took yesterday of harvesting yellow onions. Workers are paid $1.60 a sack and it takes 3 of the white buckets to fill a sack. Please remember Alex and his crew as you enjoy your BBQ this Memorial Day weekend. #WeFeedYou
* "Strawberry Festival 2016: Brought To You By Exploitation" (2016-05-23, by Colectivo Todo Poder al Pueblo, todopoderalpueblo.org) [archive.is/Y5M06], original press release [archive.is/pakir]
With context alongside the Bernie Sanders campaign appearance at Davis, CA (2016-05-31) [archive.is/MdkxQ]
* "Day of Action in Support of Familias Unidas and San Quintin, MX Farmworkers; On Saturday, May 7th, there was a call from farm workers for a Boycott Driscoll’s International Day of Action to bring attention to the fight in the berry fields both in Washington State and San Quintin, MX" (2016-05-16, Boycott Sakuma Berries, boycottsakumaberries.com) [archive.is/w4pv0]:
Democracy Now! film crew came to Burlington, WA and talked with farm workers and covered a informational picket at Costco with supporters.
Demonstrations were held in many locations, including:
- In Burlington, WA with Familias Unidas and community members including Bellingham JWJ, WPEA, Skagit Labor Dems, WWU Students for Farmworker Justice and Whatcom-Skagit IWW.
- In San Diego, CA Gloria Gracida, a spokesperson for Sindicato Independiente Nacional Democratico De Jornaleros Agricolas, joined local supporters at Whole Foods Market.
- In Eureka, CA with North Coast Solidarity Berry Boycott at local Costco.
- In Eugene, OR at Costco with Eugene Boycott Committee.
- At Costco in Fairfield, CA – “They actually let us leaflet for about 20 minutes before they ordered us off their property. Then we moved and held our signs at the driveway entrance. Lots of people stopped to ask questions and get a flyer.”
- In San Leandro, CA at Costco with Oakland Boycott Committee.
- At Costco in Rohnert Park, CA with the Food Empowerment Project.
- At Whole Foods Market in Santa Cruz, CA with the Santa Cruz Boycott Committee.
Many of those who participated in May 7th, 2016 day of action were with newly formed boycott committees as a result of the West Coast Farm Worker Tour and have been inspired to take action to support the Farmworkers. On Saturday, May 14th Sindicato Independiente Nacional Democratico De Jornaleros Agricolas (SINDJA) farmworkers in Mexico have called for a Global Day of Action. More actions will happen in places like Miguel Hidalgo Mexico, Sacramento, Chicago, Portland, and Watsonville to bring attention to the fight for justice in the berry fields.
* "Boycott Driscoll's at Fairfield Costco - International Day of Action" call-to-action (2016-05-07) [archive.is/PF4rL] [begin excerpt]: Familias Unidas has returned from their West Coast Tour. The tour was an amazing success with 18 new boycott committees formed bringing the total to 41 boycott committees across North America! The workers have built a groundswell of grassroots energy with people all over the country ready to fight and pressure Driscoll's until they get Sakuma and the growers in San Quintin to negotiate historic union contracts! [end excerpt]
* "New Leaf Community Markets in Felton Honors Driscoll’s Boycott; New Leaf Community Markets in Felton, California takes a righteous step in support of the farmworkers who grow our food. In addition to pulling Driscoll’s berries from their shelves, the market is displaying a letter with an overview of the boycott" (2016-05-05, by Bradley Allen, Indybay.org Newswire) [archive.is/Fybpb]
* "Boycott Driscoll's flashmob action 1.0" call-to-action (2016-05-07) [archive.is/8juQC]
* "May Day March for Beach Flats Garden and Boycott Driscoll's" (2016-05-03, by Bradley Allen, Indybay.org Newswire) [archive.is/NQ0VV], attached video (.mp4) [is.gd/0JU2rD]
* "Driscoll's Berries Boycott" (2016-05-07, by AutumnSun, Indybay.org Newswire) [archive.is/OV8vq], with 2 videos (.mov) [is.gd/CkGYIx] [is.gd/TzqwgG]: Costco and Whole Foods are a major distributor of Driscoll's Berries! Currently they are choosing to not honor the boycott that is called for by farmworkers.
Please take a minute to let the management of both stores know that you would like to see Costco and Whole Foods honor the boycott, especially if you are a Costco member or you are a shopper at Whole Foods. Ask them to respect the rights of the farm workers by suspending the sale of Driscoll's Berries!
Support farmworkers rights Boycott Driscoll's Berries!
Indigenous farmworkers in Baja California and Washington state have called for an international boycott of Driscoll's Berries and are asking for your support! These farmworkers are fighting for an end to inhumane working conditions including wages of $7.00 or less per day, illegal child labor, unsafe and insanitary housing and working conditions, denial of lunch or rest breaks, and violent repression of their efforts to organize!
The Driscoll's boycott will continue until contracts that safeguard basic rights and provide fair compensation are signed with the farmworkers independent unions.
* "Boycott Driscoll's Berries! Demonstration at Safeway in Watsonville" (2016-04-24, Indybay.org Newswire) [archive.is/C7FKD], with 3 attached videos (.mov) [is.gd/n7Gxd0] [is.gd/w44zNx] [is.gd/xP2PE5]
* "Boycott Driscoll's Berries Demonstration In Watsonville" (2016-05-14, by AutumnSun, Indybay.org Newswire) [archive.is/lqS7E], 5 videos (.mov) [is.gd/BmDKrg] [is.gd/3ZyLmM] [is.gd/3ZyLmM] [is.gd/jyUlvc] [is.gd/r4tCKG]
Striking San Quintin Berry Workers Shot with Rubber Bullets in Their Own Homes
HANDS OFF OUR HOMES!
* "Oakland CED committee failed to send renter protection initiative to City Council" (2016-05-27, by Lynda Carson, Indybay.org Newswire) [archive.is/fcGwA]
* "California Apartment Association targets medical marijuana users" (2016-04-27, by Lynda Carson, Indybay.org Newswire) [archive.is/cbpO2]
* "Oakland landlords offer ghetto location rentals for Rolls-Royce prices" (2016-05-26, by Lynda Carson, Indybay.org Newswire) [archive.is/XUEcM]
* "Oakland tenants are drowning in high rents and facing eviction by the thousands" (2016-05-25, by Lynda Carson, Indybay.org Newswire) [archive.is/nxYB8]
* "EBRHA hires so-called hired gun to counter Oakland’s renters movement" (2016-05-21, by Lynda Carson, Indybay.org Newswire) [archive.is/RM9Wf]
information collected by the Committee to
DEFEND THOSE WITHOUT HOMES!
* "Mathews Council Crushes Handicraft Vendors; Freedom SleepOut #46 Soldiers On" (2016-05-24, by Robert Norse) [archive.is/1a62u]
* "Freedom Sleepers Continue to Sleep at Santa Cruz City Hall" (2016-05-15, by Alex Darocy, Indybay.org) [archive.is/Cqcm6]
COMMUNITY FASCISM WATCH
* "California proposes government copyrights; California's Legislature Wants to Copyright All Government Works" (2016-05-25, indyradio.info) [archive.is/4Uydh] [begin excerpt]: The Electronic Frontier Foundation alerts us of a proposal to grant copyright authority to state and local governments in California. This runs counter to the purpose of copyrights and opens the door to wide-ranging suppression of free speech. The city of Inglewood tried to prevent the use of city council video, but failed in court.The use of city council video by citizens would be subject heavy penalties, protecting elected officials from public criticism. "... public funding means public property and that it belongs to citizens by default." says the EFF. AB 2880, fresh out of the California Assembly Committee on Judiciary must be nipped in the bud.
The California Assembly Committee on Judiciary recently approved a bill (AB 2880) to grant local and state governments copyright authority along with other intellectual property rights. At its core, the bill grants state and local government the authority to create, hold, and exert copyrights, including in materials created by the government. For background, the federal Copyright Act prohibits the federal government from claiming copyright in the materials it creates, but is silent on state governments. As a result, states have taken various approaches to copyright law with some granting themselves vast powers and others (such as California) forgoing virtually all copyright authority at least until now. [...]
We've seen many copyright claims that are in reality attempts to censor speech. California local and state governments are not exempt from the temptation of suppressing disfavored speech under a copyright claim as evidenced by the Teixeira case. In 2015, the city council of Inglewood had filed a lawsuit against a citizen (Teixeira) for uploading video clips of city council meetings to YouTube with his criticisms of the mayor. The lawsuit was dismissed by the court outright because California cities don't have the power to claim copyright. The court went even further to explain how Mr. Teixeira's use of the videos to criticize the mayor was a fair use. So while the litigation ended on the correct note (though it cost Inglewood taxpayers $110,000 in legal fees), it demonstrated how copyright law can be abused in the hands of government.
If all works produced by state and local government from city council recordings to documents that embarrassed a local official become subject to copyright law, the Teixeira case really represents a harbinger of things to come. Citizens concerned with litigation threats will refrain from sharing or copying government works despite the fact that their tax dollars created those works. Worse yet is the perverse incentive for governments to litigate given the substantial money that can obtained through statutory damages. [end excerpt]
* "A Brief History of Local Evil" (by Chris Nelson, published 2016-06, Peaceful Action news, Chico Peace & Justice Center) [archive.is/nneqs]: If you've been following the Chico Scrap Metal saga, you know that on May 17, the Chico City Council voted 4-3 to allow the Chico Scrap Metal to remain in its present location on 20th Street. However, in even later news, it turns out that the Council was misadvised on the process and will have to go back to the Planning Commission and then vote again on an amended resolution. (See “Error Sends Chico Scrap Metal Issue Back to Council “ in the Enterprise Record. http://www.chicoer.com/general-news/20160525/error-sends-chico-scrap-metal-issue-back-to-council.) As one who has been involved in protesting the Scrap Yard through the Move the Junkyard Campaign, I would like to remind Peaceful Action readers of the background history of this local evil.Chico Scrap Metal was told to move by the city in 1983, and the city even gave the business money to help it relocate. However, it was Chico Scrap Metal that decided on the 20th Street location, not the city. At the time, the 20th Street site was home to another auto wrecker and Chico Scrap Metal purchased it. The 20th Street location was then in county jurisdiction. Stories in the Enterprise-Record at the time show that the city paid $193,000 for the vacated 3.5-acre property on Humboldt, because it said a scrap metal yard didn’t belong in a residential neighborhood. The city used federal Community Development Block Grant funds to buy out Chico Scrap Metal, which had been there since 1964. The city talked about turning the land over to the Community Housing Improvement Program or the Butte County Housing Authority for low-income housing, or converting it into a neighborhood park. But after the business moved out, the city learned the site was contaminated with high concentrations of heavy metals. The Humboldt site landed on a state list of hazardous waste sites, and the city paid $125,000 to have it cleaned up. News clippings from the time showed that the city was so eager to get Chico Scrap Metal out of the neighborhood that it helped owner George Scott do so. In addition to the purchase price of the land, the city paid an additional $40,000 to help him move. The city didn’t conduct environmental tests on the property until after the sale was complete, so the city had to pay the cost of removing the high concentrations of lead and copper. The contaminated soil was hauled to a hazardous waste dump in Benicia. Workers wore protective clothing with goggles and respirators, while trucks carrying the soil were hosed down before leaving the site.
In 2004 the city adopted the Chapman-Mulberry Neighborhood Plan, which rezoned the six parcels of land the company sits on from light industrial to neighborhood commercial. Plans were made to turn the property into a mixed-use residential and retail area, in keeping with the city’s general plan aimed at including commercial services in neighborhoods to cut back on the need to drive. Chico Scrap Metal is specifically addressed in the plan, which stated the city would work with the county to assist all the affected businesses to move. Four of the five businesses did move; Chico Scrap Metal remained, being granted a series of stays. The last stay was granted in 2014, with the caveat that there be no more extensions, and the business has been operating in violation of zoning codes since the end of 2014.
But, as they say on TV, “There's More!”: In May 2007, investigators from the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) found contaminants, including chromium, lead, zinc and polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) at the site on East 20th Street and at three other locations owned by the Scott family (one in Durham and two in Oroville). The agency ordered the Scotts to clean up all four sites.
In May of 2008, citing unsatisfactory cleanup efforts more than 300 days after the DTSC order, the Butte County District Attorney’s Office filed criminal charges against George Scott Sr.
In October 2008, a week before Scott faced trial by jury, he struck a bargain and plead no contest to two misdemeanor counts, agreeing to pay investigative and cleanup fees totaling $381,000, with an additional $500,000 suspended pending cleanup. Scott later appealed the deal, claiming inadequate legal representation and faulty DTSC testing, beginning years of legal appeals.
In the fall of 2009, Scott and other business owners form Citizens for Economic Balance, a political action committee, attempted to unseat District Attorney Mike Ramsey and replace him with Sacramento DUI attorney Lance Daniel. Current City Councilman Andrew Coolidge was the PAC’s paid public relations consultant.
Kim Scott, George’s daughter and Chico Scrap Metal Chief Financial Officer, asked for discussion of the scrap metal yard on the night Coolidge and the other conservatives were sworn into office in January, 2105. She sought an yet another extension on an order to discontinue operations—action related to the East 20th Street property’s noncomforming uses.
Soon after, this letter was in the Chico News and Review,--January 15, 2015
Re: “Recycled on site” (Newslines, by Robert Speer, January. 8):
Chico Scrap Metal attorney Therese Cannata’s statement during a Jan. 6 Chico City Council meeting that there is no toxic contamination on the property, a statement printed in a Chico News & Review news article on Jan. 8, is untrue.
Our department found elevated levels of PCB on the Chico Scrap Metal location on 20th Street, and the contamination remains. The company’s consultant provided DTSC with a cleanup plan that calls for placing a cap on the contamination, a plan we determined does not meet our cleanup standards for meeting future use of the site. We have asked that the company revise its plan.
Russ Edmondson, Department of Toxic Substances Control, Sacramento
All of the above history is my effort to set a bit of background on this discussion on the nature of this particular evil.
Can a business that is deemed by some to be worthwhile (recycling the contaminated waste stream of an industrial society) be blamed for digging in their heels to maintain a “good thing?” Many citizens of the community have argued that CSM should stay. Commonly it is said, “They were there first,” sort of a squatter’s rights argument. Others just don’t believe what they can’t see. The PCBs and heavy metals that waft on the Chapman breezes haven't been shown to hurt the kids… scientists with big credentials hired by CSM have said repeatedly that there is no contamination beyond background levels. The public is also distracted and perhaps doesn’t care too much about low income, disenfranchised Chapman families. The ringing truths of social and environmental injustice just do not seem to resonate with many.
It has been a frantic time. The conservative 4:3 majority City Council, including Mr. Coolidge, voted to allow CSM to stay on 20th Street in perpetuity on May 17, 2016. The Move the Junkyard coalition quickly met with two expensive attorneys to write a referendum (requiring 5000 valid City of Chico signatures within 30 days of the Council vote.) But onMay 25th, as noted above, the referendum was suspended upon notification that someone in the city had made a “clerical error” and the entire ordinance may be rescinded; in other words, the entire CSM issue needed to go back to the Planning Commission and then to the City Council, probably making it impossible to get a referendum on the November ballot!
The City Clerk stated in her 25 years she’s never seen anything like this.
Stay tuned health and justice advocates. This issue isn’t over, but new fired-up activists are certainly needed. Habitat for Humanity families with young children now live right across the alley from CSM… we can’t fail them.
Chris Nelson is a member of the Move the Junkyard Campaign as well as numerous other local and regional actions. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CSUC Environment IV Class (EEOS 365) "Chico Scrap Metal in Chico, Butte County, California." Instructor: Adrienne Edwards. 27 March 2015. If you would like a copy of this report, send a request to <email@example.com>.
Gascoyne, Tom. “Legal scrap over?” Chico News & Review. 1-23-14. https://www.newsreview.com/chico/content?oid=12579768
Recycling Today Staff. “California scrap recycler wins in effort to stay put: Some of Chico Scrap Metal’s neighbors hoped to move it from its long-time home.” Recycling Today. May 5, 2016,.http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrTccYnw01XTjsAGQgnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByb2lvbXVuBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1464742823/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.recyclingtoday.com%2farticle%2fchico-scrap-metal-nimby-california%2f/RK=0/RS=TVo5CmX8Fi0rAW25Ii1g7CCWV6I-
Schraga, Ashley. "Chico Scrap Metal will stay on East 20th Street" Chico Enterprise Record 05/03/16 http://www.chicoer.com/article/NA/20160503/NEWS/160509920
Sharaga, Ashia. “Error Sends Chico Scrap Metal Issue Back to Council. “ Chico ER. 5/25/16
Smith, Ken. "The long fight:A brief overview of Chico Scrap Metal’s history of conflict” Chico News and Review. 2-25-16. https://www.newsreview.com/chico/long-fight/content?oid=20162891
Speer, Robert. “New council majority allows Chico Scrap Metal to stay. Chico News and Review. Jan 8, 2015 . https://www.newsreview.com/chico/content?oid=159659n .
Speer, Robert. “Recycled on site.” Chico News & Review. 1.23.16 https://www.newsreview.com/chico/content?oid=15965970
* "Two People Connected To Flint Water Investigation Found Dead; Two people who were connected to the Flint water company investigation were both found dead in the space of a week this month" (2016-04-29, by Sean Adl-Tabatabai) [archive.is/uQ0Iu]
Documenting human-rights abuse by domestic security agencies
[NorthbayCopwatch.blogspot.com] [copblock.org] [wecopwatch.org] [filmingcops.com]
* "Police Militarization Program: A Federally Sponsored Gunshow That Never Ends" (2016-05-26, by Mike Maharrey) [archive.is/zsiQN]
* " ‘Blue Lives Matter:’ Louisiana Governor Signs Bill Making Criminal Offenses Against Police a Hate Crime" (2016-05-27, atlantablackstar.com) [archive.is/DDrOw]
* "Louisiana's hate crime law, which already includes police, now includes police. Again." (2016-05-26, bestofneworleans.com) [archive.is/mcz9e]
* "Blue Code of Silence to Remain Under California Law; Bill to open up police misconduct records dies in Senate Appropriations committee" (2016-05-27, aclusocal.org) [archive.is/CYutr]: Senate Bill 1286, introduced by Senator Mark Leno (D-San Francisco) and coauthored by Senators Holly Mitchell (D-Los Angeles), John Moorlach (R-Costa Mesa) and Assemblymember Shirley Weber (D-San Diego), was held in the Senate Appropriations committee today.
SB 1286 would have shined light on how departments handle confirmed instances of officer misconduct and serious uses of force. California, a national leader in upholding and expanding the rights of its residents, is surprisingly one of the most secretive states when it comes to releasing basic information about how departments investigate and address wrongdoing by peace officers, including racial profiling, sexual misconduct, and officer-involved shootings. On the other hand, states like Texas, Kentucky, Utah, and about a dozen others make these records public when a department finds that an officer engaged in misconduct.
“Today is a sad day for transparency, accountability, and justice in California,” said Peter Bibring, police practices director for the ACLU of California. “Last year, 211 people were killed by police in California – more than in any other state – yet state law will continue to shield from public view the full findings of investigations into each and every one of these and all future killings.”
As communities throughout the state and country continue to demand meaningful reforms, focus on community mistrust in current systems of accountability has heightened. A recent Pew Research Center poll found that only 30 percent of Americans and just 10 percent of Black Americans believe that police departments do a good job of holding officers accountable for misconduct.
“The committee’s decision is a slap in the face to the victims of police violence and brutality,” said Mar Velez, policy and organizing campaign manager with CURYJ. “One of the greatest disadvantages communities have when seeking justice in the face of officer misconduct and police brutality is access to information. While bad-acting police personnel enjoy an exorbitant amount of secrecy, communities are left in the dark.”
According to the Washington Post, unarmed Black men are a shocking seven times more likely to be killed by police gunfire than unarmed white men.
SB 1286 would have ensured that:
- Californians have full access to records of investigations and discipline in police shootings and other serious uses of force by police, and cases where police departments have found that their own officers actually violated the rights of members of the public.
- Californians who file complaints alleging misconduct were told how the department responded. If the complaint is rejected, they will be told why. If it is sustained, they will be told what corrective action is taken.
- Civilian oversight bodies and local governments have access to the police department records they need to carry out their duties, while requiring those agencies to keep records confidential.
Officers’ privacy and safety is protected by allowing courts to withhold records if there is a risk or danger to an officer or someone else, or if disclosure would be an unwarranted invasion of officers’ privacy.
SB 1286 was co-sponsored by the ACLU of California, the California Newspaper Publishers Association, CURYJ, PICO California and the Youth Justice Coalition.
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: Domestic Security Agencies and private-sector partners
* " ‘Hatchet to liberty’: New senate bill expands FBI’s warrantless surveillance powers" (2016-05-27, rt.com) [archive.is/FUhEM]
* "Shaking My Head: The government will dramatically expand surveillance powers unless Congress acts" (2016-05-19, medium.com) [archive.is/qnAj7]
* "The FBI Wants To Keep The National Biometric Database A Secret" (2016-05-19, by Derrick Broze) [archive.is/1ukyd]
* "Facebook: The Septic Tank of News" (2016-05-09, bsnorrell.blogspot.com) [archive.is/HKs1E]: Facebook is censoring this article tonight, which exposes censorship by Facebook. Whistleblowers at Facebook are revealing the truth: "Whistleblowers Confirm Facebook Censors Certain Types of News Stories" (2016-05-09, theantimedia.org) [archive.is/9uARh].
It is good not to take Facebook too seriously, since it is a crude marketing tool.
More alarming, Facebook is used extensively by the US and governments around the world for tracking human rights activists and the theft of their personal data.
Of course we know now that everyone's data is stolen and stored by the US, UK and other governments.
Tracking your location is just one tool of Facebook that violates privacy.
US agents have remarked about how easy it is to track activists, since they keep checking in at Facebook.
Israeli agents diverted peace activists away from Palestine by tracking them on Facebook and then blocking their air travel.
Besides what you post, each time you log into Facebook, your IP address is recorded. Facebook keeps a permanent record of your locations. (This means they know where you sleep, and who else sleeps there if they log on.)
Further, Facebook has become a garbage dump for 'clickbait.' These fraudulent news websites steal the work of real reporters.
Each time you click on the fraudulent news links, they make money. These profiteers steal the most controversial news in order to grab your attention.
They often use photo collages in an attempt to avoid photo copyright prosecution.
These websites are a form of poverty porn, making a profit from human misery.
Perhaps Facebook's greatest damage is the lure to waste time, precious time.
And there's often no better way to ruin your day than to log onto Facebook.
* "ISIS jihadists sell sex slaves on Facebook" (2016-05-30, rt.com) [archive.is/5n4WX]
* Facebook has been forcefully suggesting certain "political" users download a spyware program from one of its proprietary partners. Here's a set of screengrabs of the latest suggested download.
* "Israeli Start-Up To Provide DHS With Facial Recognition Tech That Digs Up Character Traits" (2016-05-24, by Joe Jankowski) [archive.is/KqYRm]
* "New Mobile Pre-Crime Technology Marketed to U.S. - Developed by Ex-Israeli Intelligence" (2012-12-19, by Nicholas West) [archive.is/5eyRF]
* The USA Military operate across the homeland, most notoriously by shaping public opinion through online commenting operations ("Troll Brigades") against criticism posted in relation to foreign wars.
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: Five-Eyes, and other transnational partners
* "Self Censorship – Coming To A Laptop Near You" (2016-05-30, by Graham Vanbergen) [archive.is/Jb6f6]
from the Committee to
FREE 'EM ALL!
End the Drug War! Stop Jim Crow! Close the Torture Chambers! [solitarywatch.com] [facebook.com/incarceratedworkers] [supportprisonerresistance.noblogs.org] [denverabc.wordpress.com] [prisonlegalnews.org] [prisonbooks.info] [nycabc.wordpress.com] [powmedicaljustice.com] [sacprisonersupport.wordpress.com]. Become a Human Rights Pen Pal! [link].
* "Prison labor booms in US as low-cost inmates bring billions" [youtu.be/CySzoJFkTA8]
* "Immigrants for Sale: Private Prisons Auction Off Inmates" [youtu.be/QLfXEepptxw]
* "Judge Compares Drug War To Slavery, Bravely Refuses To Put Convicted Drug Felon In Prison" (2016-05-27, Justin Gardner) [archive.is/uxIRG]
* "PHSS Committee to End Sleep Deprivation asks for letters about the ‘security / welfare checks’ " (2016-05-26, sfbayview.com) [archive.is/nOMsr]
* "Terrible Tier II: We are fighting for our lives" (2016-05-24, sfbayview.com) [archive.is/DzyEu] [begin excerpt]: I’m writing to show the brothers some love who went on hunger strike in California. It’s crazy how you see other people going through the same thing that you are living. What really impressed me is the fact that all the brothers stood up for the cause – putting aside small differences, colors, beliefs, lifestyles, sets and anything that could divide the much needed unity. That alone deserves a salute.
I’m writing this on behalf of myself and the Goodfellas, which the Georgia Department of Corrections has validated as a security threat group. We are being held indefinitely in a very restrictive and oppressive program called Tier II: Behavior Modification Program, which is identical to the severe conditions of the SHU in California and any supermax long term program across the nation.
We are being held based on affiliation alone or have been falsely validated because of association. The main reason used to substantiate our validation is being from Atlanta, Georgia; the GDC feels that a person from Atlanta must be a Goodfella if not something else.
The GDC has a list of more than 1,000 STGs and will validate any young Black man without ever notifying him that he has been labeled something that represents a certain code and lifestyle. The “Good Ol’ Boy State” is targeting all the Black men from Atlanta and discriminates against the Goodfellas, while white inmates never get validated as a security threat group member unless they have done something wrong a few times.
The GDC has had all the validated Goodfellas locked down since Feb. 14, 2013, and the entire validated group was forced into the Tier II program in August through October 2015 despite the requirement that a person, to be placed in this oppressive program, must have committed a violent act. It’s going on three years and the GDC still hasn’t released any validated Goodfellas and they refuse to tell any of us when anyone of us will be able to return to general population. [...]
We are in a very racist state and are in need of help, phone calls to the commissioner, emails; we need some force to allow the doors to open. We are putting together a class action to try to get some justice to return back to population, because we are fighting for our lives, our minds and our families.
Editor’s note: Call Georgia Department of Corrections Commissioner Homer Bryson at 404-656-4661.
Send our brother some love and light: Deron Ruffin, 1111773, Telfair State Prison, P.O. Box 549, Helena GA 31037. [end excerpt]
* "Georgia DOC’s Tier II Program, extreme solitary confinement, is dehumanizing torture" (2015-11-27, sfbayview.com) [archive.is/xysUs]
* "Coordinated offensive on STG kickouts" (2016-05-25, sfbayview.com) [archive.is/gdqje] [begin excerpt]: Looking at prisons going back decades, as more and more of the older, wiser, educated or conscious people were being gaffled up and stuffed in the control units and put on a shelf, the state was simultaneously tightening their grip on prisons and restricting the environments within prisons so that the mainlines became super repressive.
When someone drove up who was a legal beagle or was able to organize forms of resistance to state repression, they would be snatched up and stuffed in the SHU. This creates a chilling effect on jailhouse lawyers and prison activism in general.
As a result, the state has been able to initiate all kinds of dehumanizing methods on the mainlines for years. Here in Pelican Bay’s mainline, for example, for years when prisoners would exit their cell blocks to go to yard, everyone was lined up en masse and strip-searched and even told to turn around squat, cough and spread their cheeks right there on the yard in broad daylight. [end excerpt]
* "Jail punishes 3 inmates with solitary confinement for prison reforms advocacy – report" (2016-05-26, rt.com) [archive.is/P9dvU]
* "43 years in solitary: 'There are moments I wish I was back there' ; Albert Woodfox, who was America’s longest-standing solitary confinement prisoner up until his release in February, describes what it feels like to be free" (2016-04-29, theguardian.com) [archive.is/4CmtG]
* "Missing Omaha FBI files had counterintelligence secrets about Omaha Two" (2016-05-20, Michael Richardson) [archive.is/P9bGm]
* "Activists begin hunger strike, call for halt to detention of transgender immigrants" (2016-05-19, peoplesworld.org) [archive.is/dciiN]
* "The Right To Survive: The Case of Alisha Walker" (2016-05-17, titsandsass.com) [archive.is/QXd63]
* "15 Year-Old BackPage Prostitute Sentenced To 9-years In Prison" (rawnews.me) [archive.is/yTPVF]
* "Who’s The Victim: The Tragedy of Latesha Clay" (2016-02-24, titsandsass.com) [archive.is/S9B0P]
* "Seeking Freedom for 15 year old human trafficking victim sentenced to prison!" petition [is.gd/2QWFFl]
(2016-05-27, Maile Hampton): All types of fucked up language to describe this young woman. She is a victim of sexual abuse, of rape, and she's going to jail for trying to eke out a living in this savage ass system. But Peter Liang the killer of Akai Gurley gets community service? But killer cops walk free for taking people's lives, even on camera? Cops, priests, and political figures do the same shit and get a slap on the wrist to no time?
The state is an instrument of class repression and we got the wrong people getting repressed. We need to repress the fascists, rapists, money bags, and pig agents not the masses of people who are poor and victims of patriarchy, white supremacy, and capitalist exploitation.
This shit is sickening.
* "South Asian migrants say they were put in 'body bags' for deportation from US; Immigration officials admit using ‘minimum force’ but deportees claim they tased, punched and kicked a group of 85 Bangladeshis, Nepalis and Indians" (2016-05-27, theguardian.com) [archive.is/GKVVE]
LIBERATION FOR ALL GENDERS!
THE HUMAN RIGHT TO EXISTENCE MUST BE PROTECTED!
* "House Republican reads ‘death to gays’ Bible verse before vote on LGBT rights" (2016-05-28, rt.com) [archive.is/nQxVx]
The following article contains the evidence used by those calling for death to those of the LGBTQ Spectrum of sexual orientations.
* "School's Out -- Will the Rainbow Bus Take Our Kids to the Land of Diversity?" (2004-10-07, by Ed Vitagliano, American Family Association, via headlines.agapepress.org) [archive.is/M1mSO] [begin excerpt]: For more than three decades, activists have been demanding that the public school system be enlisted as a primary engine in the effort to normalize homosexuality.
In their 1972 Gay Rights Platform [archive.is/v13Dm], activists meeting in Chicago, Illinois, demanded "[f]ederal encouragement and support for sex education courses, prepared and taught by gay women and men, presenting homosexuality as a valid, healthy preference and lifestyle as a viable alternative to heterosexuality."
Similarly, in their 1993 March on Washington, DC [archive.is/yU4rR], activists demanded that such radical instruction be taught on "all levels of education" -- federal, state and local, grades K-12.
Support for the homosexual agenda is already solid throughout the professional education organizations, such as the National Education Association, American Federation of Teachers, American Association of School Administrators, and the National Association of School Psychologists.
The National Parent Teacher Association (PTA) has also made it clear that it supports the normalization of homosexuality within the public school system. In 1999, for example, National PTA President Ginny Markell said her organization would be making available the video That's a Family!, which embraces same-sex families, as part of a nationwide effort to fight discrimination against homosexuals.
At its 2004 conference in Anaheim, California [archive.is/zXJsy], the National PTA partnered with Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG), a pro-homosexual group, to cooperatively present a workshop that instructed educators about how to promote homosexuality in public schools.
Across the nation, outside homosexual pressure groups are constantly pushing schools to create an environment in which the "gay" lifestyle is celebrated.
Perhaps the most effective of these groups, the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN), says it has almost 70 chapters throughout the nation. The group claims on its website that, by the end of the 2002-2003 school year, 1,864 student clubs -- called "Gay-Straight Alliances" -- had registered with GLSEN. [end excerpt]
Among the evidence used by conservatives against acceptance for the LGBTQ spectrum of sexual orientations is the following:
* "Medical consequences of what Homosexuals do" (by Dr. Cameron is Chairman of the Family Research Institute of Colorado Springs, Coloradofamilyresearchinst.org) [archive.is/H3tR5], which, interestingly provides reference to a biological weapons experiment against homosexuals in San Francisco, provided as the following, [begin excerpt]: In 1976, a rare airborne scarlet fever broke out among gays and just missed sweeping through San Francisco (Dritz, S. Medical aspects of homosexuality. "New England Journal of Medicine," 1980302463-4.) [end excerpt]
* "The FISTGATE Report" (2000, massnews.com) [archive.is/2Z0vf]
* "New book promotes sex with children; Ph.D. 'expert' claims pederasty good for 'nurturing,' 'mentoring' young boys" (2005-09-19, wnd.com) [archive.is/8TIyR]
* "THE 1972 GAY RIGHTS PLATFORM (Formulated in Chicago, Illinois)" [archive.is/v13Dm], which contains the following goals which serve the conservative to identify the enemy [begin excerpt]:
3. Repeal all state laws prohibiting solicitation for private voluntary sexual liaisons; and laws prohibiting prostitution, both male and female. (1972 State-3) [...]
7. Repeal of all laws governing the age of sexual consent. (1972 State-7)
8. Repeal of all legislative provisions that restrict the sex or number of persons entering into a marriage unit; and the extension of legal benefits to all persons who cohabit regardless of sex or numbers. (1972 State-8)
* "Refugees from Amerika: Gay Manifesto" (1970-01-01, by Carl Wittman) (Kindle Locations 440-448) [begin excerpt]:
AN OUTLINE OF IMPERATIVES FOR GAY LIBERATION:
1. Free ourselves: come out everywhere; initiate self defense and political activity; initiate counter community institutions.
2. Turn other gay people on: talk all the time; understand, forgive, accept.
3. Free the homosexual in everyone: we’ll be getting a good bit of [expletive] from threatened latents: be gentle, and keep talking & acting free.
4. We’ve been playing an act for a long time, so we’re consummate actors. Now we can begin to be, and it’ll be a good show! [end excerpt]
articles recommended by the
SAN PABLO BAY ECOLOGICAL PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION
Campaigns, info, and more [SanPabloBayEPA.blogspot.com]. Science [discardstudies.com]
* "New Report Highlights 10 Wild Places Saved by Endangered Species Protections" (2016-05-19, biologicaldiversity.org) [archive.is/iUmeh]
* "Tribunal Considers Rights of Nature in Imperiled San Francisco Bay-Delta" (2016-05-03, by Dan Bacher) [archive.is/ymvVp] [begin excerpt]: The Bay Area Rights of Nature Tribunal "explored ways to confront a system of law that harms people and nature, identified new strategies to protect nature's and human rights and to begin the process of healing the Delta. Judges considered water diversions from the Delta not just under existing environmental law, but from the perspective of the inherent rights of ecosystems and species, including the inherent right of the Delta to flow," according to the groups.
Alhison Ehara Brown and Osprey Orielle Lake, both from the Women's Earth & Climate Action Network, International, opened the tribunal. They were followed by witnesses including Roger Mammon, Delta resident, duck hunter, and fisherman; Barbara Barrigan-Parrilla, Executive Director of Restore the Delta; Ixtzel Reynoso, resident of Clarkburg; and Ryan Camero, Stockton artist and activist.
Expert speakers testifying include Darcie Luce, Friends of the San Francisco Estuary; David Cobb, Move to Amend; and Chris Tittle, Sustainable Economies Law Center.
"Sadly, I have watched this magnificent ecosystem slowly die over the past 30 years," said Roger Mammon. "When I first began fishing in the Delta, I was amazed watching salmon jump out of the water on their way to the Pacific. I look at the Delta as a huge lung that inhales and exhales twice a day through natural tidal movement. A huge weight has been placed on its chest and this once mighty estuary is now gasping for breath."
"The Delta and the San Francisco Bay are one big estuary," stated Darcie Luce. "There are now 13 fish species listed as threatened or endangered in the Delta. More than 40 percent of water is diverted, when scientists tell us at least 75 percent of the fresh water should flow through the estuary to be fully protective of fish and wildlife. With the Delta Tunnels, the amount of diverted water will remain the same or be increased. We need more freshwater flows to save the Delta, not less."
Barbara Barrigan-Parrilla testified, "What does it mean to destroy the Delta ecosystem? Four million rural and urban residents live in the five Delta counties. The proposed Tunnels would destroy these communities that depend on a healthy delta, and their sustainable ways of life."
The judges also commented on the assault on the Delta by the state and federal governments, corporate agribusiness, Southern California water agencies and others.
Shannon Biggs, Movement Rights director, said, "I have watched the harms to the Delta increase my entire life. The Delta is so polluted that it is now unsafe to eat more than one fish a month. Who decides which communities are to be sacrificed? Which fish? The Delta has been violated, raped. There is another way."
"We find state and federal water agencies guilty of promoting a tunnel project that would enlarge harm to the beleaguered, Delta," said Tim Stroshane, Delta Water Policy Expert. "These difficulties arise because water is being treated as a commodity, which a water industry seeks to profit from." [end excerpt]
* "Deal Protects Santa Cruz Coastal Habitat, Accommodates Solar-powered Home" (2016-05-24, biologicaldiversity.org) [archive.is/f46gy]
* "Obama Administration Approves Resumption of Offshore Fracking in California" (2016-05-28, by Dan Bacher, dailykos.com) [archive.is/1qXQy]
* "California Announces Plan to Allow Oil Industry to Pollute More Underground Water; New U.S. EPA Letter Raises Questions About Brown Administration's Efforts to Approve Oil Waste Disposal Into Aquifers" (2016-05-12, biologicaldiversity.org) [archive.is/iiT5z]
* "Break Free: Los Angeles demands end to neighborhood drilling" (2016-05-26, answercoalition.org) [archive.is/ePfRl]
* "Kern Co. Residents Conduct Capitol Sit-In to Protest Central Valley Oil Drilling" (2016-05-09, by Dan Bacher) [archive.is/GHN0X]
* "Lawsuit Filed to Protect Wildlife and San Pedro River from Sprawling Development; Conservation groups cite violations of Endangered Species Act" (2016-05-25, earthjustice.org) [archive.is/gPWPk]
* "Shell Pipeline in Northern California Has History of Oil Spills, Documents Show" (2016-05-24, biologicaldiversity.org) [archive.is/lTRsJ]
* "Small offshore oil spills put seabirds at risk; Industry self-monitoring is failing, say researchers" (2016-05-26, York University) [archive.is/7pvqs], summary: Seabirds exposed to even a dime-sized amount of oil can die of hypothermia in cold-water regions, but despite repeated requests by Environment Canada, offshore oil operators are failing when it comes to self-monitoring of small oil spills, says new research. Chronic pollution from many small oil spills may have greater population-level impacts on seabirds than a single large spill, suggest researchers.
Whowhatwhy.org writes: Chronic pollution from many small oils spills can have a greater impact on seabirds than a single large spill, but offshore oil operators are failing to monitor these effects, despite repeated requests to do so by Environment Canada. Seabirds exposed to even a tiny amount of oil can die of hypothermia in cold water according to researchers.
* "Study: Appalachian coal ash filled with rare earth elements" (2016-05-27, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/DvORy]
* "Ocean pollution: Focusing on fragmentation of plastic waste" (2016-05-23, CNRS) [is.gd/k4lfck], summary: First discovered by sailors, the masses of plastic debris floating at the center of vast ocean vortices called gyres are today under close scrutiny by scientists. To better understand the fragmentation of microplastics under the effect of light and abrasion by waves, researchers combined physico-chemical analyses with statistical modeling. They were thus able to show that pieces of plastic debris behave in very different ways according to their size. The bigger pieces appear to float flat at the surface of the water, with one face preferentially exposed to sunlight. However, the researchers observed fewer small-sized debris (around 1 mg) than predicted by the mathematical model.
SAN PABLO BAY EPA: Health and the Human Ecology
Monopolists enforce a regime that does not recognize the natural right to health and life. Info [detoxproject.org].
* "Hang up? Major US study finds link between cancer and cellphone radiation" (2016-05-27, rt.com) [archive.is/IA3OS]
* "Cell-phone-radiation study finds associated brain and heart tumors in rodents" (2016-05-27, kurzweilai.net) [archive.is/IR0J9]: A series of studies over two years with rodents exposed to radio frequency radiation (RFR) found low incidences of malignant gliomas (tumors of glial support cells) in the brain and schwannoma tumors in the heart.*
The studies were performed under the auspices of the U.S. National Toxicology Program (NTP).
Potentially preneoplastic (pre-cancer) lesions were also observed in the brain and heart of male rats exposed to RFR, with higher confidence in the association with neoplastic lesions in the heart than the brain.
No biologically significant effects were observed in the brain or heart of female rats regardless of type of radiation.
The NTP notes that the open-access report is a preview and has not been peer-reviewed.**
In 2011, the WHO/International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classified RFR as possibly carcinogenic to humans, also based on increased risk for glioma.
* The rodents were subjected to whole-body exposure to the two types RFR modulation currently used in U.S. wireless networks — CDMA and GSM — at frequencies of 900 MHz for rats and 1900 MHz for mice, with a total exposure time of approximately 9 hours a day over the course of the day, 7 days/week. The glioma lesions occurred in 2 to 3 percent of the rats and the schwannomas occurred in 1 to 6 percent of the rats.
** The NTP says further details will be published in the peer-reviewed literature later in 2016. The reports are “limited to select findings of concern in the brain and heart and do not represent a complete reporting of all findings from these studies of cell phone RFR,” which will be “reported together with the current findings in two forthcoming NTP peer-reviewed reports, to be available for peer review and public comment by the end of 2017.”
Abstract of Report of Partial Findings from the National Toxicology Program Carcinogenesis Studies of Cell Phone Radiofrequency Radiation
The U.S. National Toxicology Program (NTP) has carried out extensive rodent toxicology and carcinogenesis studies of radiofrequency radiation (RFR) at frequencies and modulations used in the US telecommunications industry. This report presents partial findings from these studies. The occurrences of two tumor types in male Harlan Sprague Dawley rats exposed to RFR, malignant gliomas in the brain and schwannomas of the heart, were considered of particular interest, and are the subject of this report. The findings in this report were reviewed by expert peer reviewers selected by the NTP and National Institutes of Health (NIH). These reviews and responses to comments are included as appendices to this report, and revisions to the current document have incorporated and addressed these comments. Supplemental information in the form of 4 additional manuscripts has or will soon be submitted for publication. These manuscripts describe in detail the designs and performance of the RFR exposure system, the dosimetry of RFR exposures in rats and mice, the results to a series of pilot studies establishing the ability of the animals to thermoregulate during RFR exposures, and studies of DNA damage. Capstick M, Kuster N, Kühn S, Berdinas-Torres V, Wilson P, Ladbury J, Koepke G, McCormick D, Gauger J, Melnick R. A radio frequency radiation reverberation chamber exposure system for rodents Yijian G, Capstick M, McCormick D, Gauger J, Horn T, Wilson P, Melnick RL and Kuster N. Life time dosimetric assessment for mice and rats exposed to cell phone radiation Wyde ME, Horn TL, Capstick M, Ladbury J, Koepke G, Wilson P, Stout MD, Kuster N, Melnick R, Bucher JR, and McCormick D. Pilot studies of the National Toxicology Program’s cell phone radiofrequency radiation reverberation chamber exposure system Smith-Roe SL, Wyde ME, Stout MD, Winters J, Hobbs CA, Shepard KG, Green A, Kissling GE, Tice RR, Bucher JR, Witt KL. Evaluation of the genotoxicity of cell phone radiofrequency radiation in male and female rats and mice following subchronic exposure.
Michael Wyde, Mark Cesta, Chad Blystone, Susan Elmore, Paul Foster, Michelle Hooth, Grace Kissling, David Malarkey, Robert Sills, Matthew Stout, Nigel Walker, Kristine Witt, Mary Wolfe, John Bucher. Report of Partial Findings from the National Toxicology Program Carcinogenesis Studies of Cell Phone Radiofrequency Radiation in Hsd: Sprague Dawley SD rats (Whole Body Exposures). bioRxiv. May 26, 2016.doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1101/055699 (open-access)
Photo caption: Glioma in rat brain (credit: Samuel Samnick et al./European Journal of Nuclear Medicine)
SAN PABLO BAY EPA: Save The Frogs!
* "Amphibians in continued global decline; The latest analysis suggests amphibian populations are declining at a rate of 3.79 percent per year" (2016-05-23, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/t5JiF]
articles recommended by the
NO NUKES! campaign
[StopNuclearDeath.blogspot.com] [nuclear-news.net] [nukeresister.org] [nukefree.org]
* "Radioactive materials found in West Lake runoff area" (2016-05-26, news.stlpublicradio.org) [archive.is/GujSf]
* "Fukushima clean-up chief still hunting for 600 tonnes of melted radioactive fuel" (2016-05-24, abc.net.au) [archive.is/bnrDH]
* "Worse ‘Than the Disaster Itself’: Tokyo Slammed for Fukushima Cleanup; Tokyo is facing new backlash this week over their handling of Fukushima cleanup efforts, as it has been revealed that 600 tons of radioactive reactor fuel remains missing, five years after the disaster" (2016-05-25, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/h3XdX]
* "First-hand decommissioning insight from Holtec and National Spent Fuel Collaborative" (2016-05, Nuclear Energy Insider, FC Business Intelligence Ltd., UK) (.pdf) [is.gd/S4ttbG]. Pierre Oneid and Jim Hamilton will all be giving further insight into their current projects at The Nuclear Decommissioning & Used Fuel Summit (3-4 October, Charlotte NC).
As the US’ largest meeting point for nuclear decommissioning, used fuel and environmental remediation professionals, this event is a staple on every industry calendar.
With over 300 attendees expected and delegates already confirmed from SCE, Entergy, Duke, DOE, NRC, NAC International, AREVA, WCS, ES, Holtec, US Ecology and many more.
But, still, the question is what to do with all toxic byproducts, and the reality that private bureaucrats working in the interest of profit will be charged with handling or receiving such toxic byproducts.
* "NASA: Thorium Remix 2016" (2016-05-20) [youtube.com/watch?v=0BybPPIMuQQ]:
Thorium is an abundant material which can be transformed into massive quantities of energy. To do so efficiently, requires a very different nuclear reactor than the kind we use today- Not one that uses solid fuel rods, but a reactor in which the fuel is kept in a liquid state. Not one that uses pressurized water as a coolant, but a reactor that uses chemically stable molten salts.
Such a reactor is called a "Molten Salt Reactor". Many different configurations are possible. Some of these configurations can harness Thorium very efficiently.
If you have ever heard the word THORIUM before now, that is because NASA paid $10,000 to have MSR research documents scanned. NASA needs power for space missions, but current nuclear reactors are ill-suited for off-world application.
This video explores the attributes of Molten Salt Reactors. Why are they compelling? And why do many people (including myself) see them as the only economical way of fully harnessing ALL our nuclear fuels... including Thorium.
THORIUM REMIX 2016 has been under development since 2012. I hope it conveys to you why I personally find Molten Salt Reactors so compelling, as do the many volunteers and supporters who helped create this video. Much of the footage was shot by volunteers.
Entities pursuing Molten Salt Reactors are:
Flibe Energy [http://flibe-energy.com/]
Terrestrial Energy [http://terrestrialenergy.com/]
Moltex Energy [http://www.moltexenergy.com/]
ThorCon Power [http://thorconpower.com/]
Copenhagen Atomics [http://www.copenhagenatomics.com/]
Bhabha Atomic Research Centre [http://www.barc.gov.in/]
Chinese Academy of Sciences [http://english.cas.cn/]
Regular Thorium conferences are organized by:
Some of this footage is remixed from non-MSR related sources, to help explain the importance of energy for both space exploration and everyday life here on Earth. Most prominently...
Pandora's Promise [https://youtu.be/bDw3ET3zqxk]
Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson [https://youtu.be/Pun76NZMjCk]
Stephen Colbert [https://youtu.be/6jXazEYi3P8]
Dr. Robert Zubrin [https://youtu.be/EKQSijn9FBs]
Mars Underground [https://youtu.be/tcTZvNLL0-w]
Andy Weir & Adam Savage [https://youtu.be/5SemyzKgaUU]
Periodic Table Videos [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtESv1e7ntJaLJYKIO1FoYw]
...to see when & where ALL remix components have been used, watch this video using a computer and enable "YouTube Annotations". Citations will appear on-screen during playback.
All music was created by: [http://kilowattsmusic.com]
To support this project, please visit: [https://patreon.com/thorium]
articles recommended by the
SAN PABLO BAY SOVEREIGNTY Think-tank
* "New concept turns battery technology upside-down; Pump-free design for flow battery could offer advantages in cost and simplicity" (2016-05-25, news.mit.edu) [archive.is/8mskn]
Comment: "Good intentions but hospitalizations will be happening if people eat this fruit. Systemic ornamental pesticides are DANGEROUS. Please do not spread this and please think about doing shit like this as it is not an educated decision. I am a horticulturist and trust me, these trees are treated regularly by the city."
NORTHBAY ENTHEOGENIC FREEDOM
* "Legal Cannabis Is Literally Transforming Cities — Funding Roads, Schools, Charities And More" (2016-05-29, by Justin Gardner) [archive.is/mn1Ot]
* "9 Uses For Hemp You Won’t Learn From Mainstream Media" (2016-05-29, Amanda Froelich) [archive.is/u12Yn]
articles recommended by the Committee for
Protect Earth's Sentient Life!
* "Great apes communicate cooperatively, like humans" (2016-05-24, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/S14Xj]
* "Study: Farm-raised salmon suffer from depression" (2016-05-25, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/pX2rw]
ANIMAL RIGHTS: Save the Whales!
* "Harbour porpoises are skilled hunters and eat almost constantly" (2016-05-26, cellpress.com) [archive.is/TthPi] [begin excerpt]: Harbour porpoises have sometimes been described as "living in the fast lane." Being smaller than other cetaceans and living in cold northern waters means that the porpoises require a lot of energy to survive, making them prone to starvation. Now researchers reporting in the Cell Press journal Current Biology on May 26 have monitored harbour porpoises in the wild with tiny computers attached to them by suction cups show that the animals hunt and eat almost constantly.
The findings by researchers in Denmark, Germany, and Scotland suggest that even a moderate level of disturbance in the busy shallow waters that they share with humans--anything that might limit their ability to feed--could put the animals in serious jeopardy.
"Our results show that porpoises hunt small fish, typically less than five centimeters, nearly continuously day and night at ultra-high rates, attempting to capture up to 550 fish per hour, and frequently more than ten per minute with a remarkable success rate of more than 90 percent," says Danuta Wisniewska of Aarhus University in Denmark. "The tiny fish targeted by porpoises are not of interest in commercial fisheries; however, relying on such small prey makes porpoises especially vulnerable to disturbances, because there is no room for compensation." [end excerpt]
UNITED STATES FASCISM WATCH
Documenting the process of fascism and for whom it benefits. [UnitedStatesFascism.blogspot.com] [exposefacts.org]
* "The Rise Of The Meta-Criminal; Is The NSA Manipulating The Stock Market?" (2016-05-24, by Jon Rappoport) [archive.is/I5AMj]
* "The U.S. Government Is Quietly Paying Billions to Wall Street Banks" (2016-05-20, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/gaS7d]
* "Chevron CEO and Board Confronted for Lying To Shareholders, SEC and Public at Annual Shareholder Meeting; Watson unable to respond to fraud charges and clear ethics violations" (2016-05-25, amazonwatch.org) [archive.is/UkBr3]
* "ExxonMobil, Chevron investors defeat climate resolutions" (2016-05-25, dailymail.co.uk) [archive.is/qBf3k]
* "Sanders, Warren Blast Republican Efforts to Derail; #ExxonKnew Probe Letter from progressive senators comes in response to GOP call for Justice Department to back off the fossil fuel industry" (2016-05-27, commondreams.org) [archive.is/DJ0LX]
The free services provided by secular family planning organizations are being attacked and are to be replaced by an ideology that does not work.
* "Promoting abstinence & faithfulness does little to prevent HIV – Stanford study" (2016-05-28, rt.com) [archive.is/kz45P]
* (Dr. Jonathan Giftos) [archive.is/SYtRu]: When a faithfully married black president who was the son of a single-mother, the first black editor of Harvard Law review and a professor of constitutional law is considered unintelligent, immoral, and anti-American by the right while a xenophobic, misogynistic, "serially philandering", trust fund kid who quotes from the National Enquirer, peddles conspiracy theories, routinely calls women ugly and fat, calls McCain a loser for having been a prisoner of war, and who has advocated torture and the bombing of women and children has captured the hearts of a majority of Republicans. This is white supremacy folks. Plain and simple.
* "Republicans Demand Flint-Like Solution To Puerto Rico Debt" (2016-05-24, ourfuture.org) [archive.is/lKwOr]
Comcast trains “Customer Loyalty Specialists”
* "This is Comcast's internal handbook for talking customers out of canceling service; 'Retention specialists' can be pretty persuasive" (2014-08-04, theverge.com) [archive.is/SNZuD], read more at [archive.is/gqvOi] [archive.is/5ZTHm] [archive.is/ctrpL]
* "Save Firefox!" (2016-05-11, eff.org) [archive.is/PGpIr] [begin excerpt]: The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), once the force for open standards that kept browsers from locking publishers to their proprietary capabilities, has changed its mission. Since 2013, the organization has provided a forum where today's dominant browser companies and the dominant entertainment companies can collaborate on a system to let our browsers control our behavior, rather than the other way.
This system, "Encrypted Media Extensions" (EME) uses standards-defined code to funnel video into a proprietary container called a "Content Decryption Module." For a new browser to support this new video streaming standard -- which major studios and cable operators are pushing for -- it would have to convince those entertainment companies or one of their partners to let them have a CDM, or this part of the "open" Web would not display in their new browser.
This is the opposite of every W3C standard to date: once, all you needed to do to render content sent by a server was follow the standard, not get permission. If browsers had needed permission to render a page at the launch of Mozilla, the publishers would have frozen out this new, pop-up-blocking upstart. Kiss Firefox goodbye, in other words.
The W3C didn't have to do this. No copyright law says that making a video gives you the right to tell people who legally watch it how they must configure their equipment. But because of the design of EME, copyright holders will be able to use the law to shut down any new browser that tries to render the video without their permission.
That's because EME is designed to trigger liability under section 1201 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), which says that removing a digital lock that controls access to a copyrighted work without permission is an offense, even if the person removing the lock has the right to the content it restricts. In other words, once a video is sent with EME, a new company that unlocks it for its users can be sued, even if the users do nothing illegal with that video. [end excerpt]
* "Texas Bullion Depository: Gold Backed Bank To Be Completed Next Year" (2016-05-19, by Joshua Krause) [archive.is/Ymlv8]
USA FASCISM: Dominionism & the "Prosperity Gospel"
* "20 Insanely Unchristian Church Signs At ‘Christian’ Churches" (2015-05-13, reverbpress.com) [archive.is/NVp4K]
USA FASCISM: Military State
* "The Pentagon’s War on Accountability; Slush Funds, Smoke and Mirrors, and Funny Money Equal Weapons Systems Galore" (2016-05-24, by William D. Hartung, intro by tomdispatch.com) [archive.is/fuyKh]
* "US still uses floppy disks to control nuclear bombers & ballistic missiles" (2016-05-26, rt.com) [archive.is/cEyTb]
* "DARPA's XS-1 Spaceplane" (2016-05-24, spacedaily.com) [archive.is/Ryrhl] [begin excerpt]: The DARPA hopes to develop a reusable spaceplane, the XS-1, that can boost an upper stage and small orbital payload through the first stage ascent profile. The second stage would carry small satellites into low earth orbits. The initial customer for such a system is expected to be U.S. national security agencies.
In effect, the XS-1 is intended to replace the traditional expendable "first stage" of a multistage launch vehicle, but with the capability of flying at hypersonic speeds. In a fashion similar to an expendable first stage, the XS-1 should enable an expendable upper stage to separate and deploy a payload into orbit. This hypersonic stage will be designed to return to Earth and be serviced fast enough to repeat the process at least once every 24 hours. [end excerpt]
Illustration: The XS-1 program has evolved from several previous failed attempts to develop a reusable space launch vehicle.
An example of a government's partnership with private companies for delivering space-borne weapons and information technology platforms.
* "Arianespace to supply payload dispenser systems for OneWeb constellation" (2016-05-24, spacedaily.com) [archive.is/DaXky]
USA FASCISM: Two Party Dictatorship
* "Top Democrats Ally With Oil and Gas Industry to Fight Colorado Anti-Fracking Ballot Measures" (2016-05-21, theintercept.com) [archive.is/HHDba]
* "Meet The 88 Democrats Who Just Voted To Enable Racial Discrimination In Car Buying; They were joined by 244 Republicans. America!" (2015-11-20, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/R9ZTL]
* "GOP policy statement implies most Texans are gay, advocacy group points out" (2016-05-21, rt.com) [archive.is/ySUPE]
* "Trump: My GOP will be a 'worker's party' " (2016-05-26, thehill.com) [archive.is/sGJ7N]. If the left is afraid to speak plainly and clearly about class politics and class struggle, someone on the far right like Trump will be happy to step in and organize (white) workers for a different, fucked up agenda.
* "Trump Campaign: Maybe We’ll Cut Social Security After All" (2016-05-12, slate.com) [archive.is/AArnH]
* "Trump and Ryan Agree: Let’s Dismantle Social Security" (2016-05-16, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/TXNIT]
* "Donald Trump on Social Security" quotes (updated 2016-02-13, ontheissues.org) [archive.is/BC6oo]
* "Trump would approve Keystone pipeline blocked by Obama" (2016-05-26, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/txelA] [begin excerpt]: Donald Trump said Thursday that if he is elected US president, he would support the Canadian Keystone oil pipeline project that was blocked by President Barack Obama on environmental grounds.
He also reiterated his intention, if elected president in November, to reverse much of Obama's energy plan and to "cancel" the landmark Paris climate pact of last December.
Speaking just after he won enough primary delegates to seize the Republican nomination for the White House, Trump told reporters that the project for a new pipeline to carry Canadian crude to the Gulf of Mexico "should be approved."
"I will absolutely approve it 100 percent, but I want a better deal," Trump added.
He said that because the project requires the US government to expropriate private land using eminent domain laws, the US should have a share of the profits.
"I'm going to say, folks, we are going to let you build the pipeline but give us a piece," Trump said.
"I want a piece of the profits for the United States. That's how we make our country rich again." [end excerpt]
* " ‘America was never great’: Woman’s hat prompts death threats from Trump posse" (2016-05-21, rt.com) [archive.is/Md5jB]
* "Donald Trump and the Central Park Five: the racially charged rise of a demagogue; In 1989 five young black men were wrongfully convicted of raping a woman jogging in New York City. Leading the charge against them was a real estate mogul whose divisive rhetoric can be found in his presidential campaign today" (2016-02-17, theguardian.com) [archive.is/M9ytD]
* "Clinton ignores question of how much money Goldman Sachs CEO gave her son-in-law’s hedge fund" (2016-05-28, rt.com) [archive.is/m6BZc]
* (2016-05-27, posted by Rick Torres to East San Fernando Valley for Bernie) [archive.is/qnz7I]:
Heads up. Just got a Latino targeted voter guide, which not only didn't include Bernie, but also directed me to the wrong polling place. Ballot was sent out by "Our Voice Latino Voter Guide", an offshoot of Diverse Strategies for Organizing, Inc., run by Clinton supporter Víctor Griego.
Photos [archive.is/3LwpU] [archive.is/5QQri] [archive.is/1ntka].
* "Why Sanders Continues Campaigning. Clinton Could be Indicted in Relation to her State Department Emails…" (2016-05-13, by Eric Zuesse) [archive.is/9NPer]
* "Sanders supporters talk democracy in Albuquerque, N.M." (2016-05-20, liberationnews.org) [archive.is/U3o9v]
* " 'Democracy in the US is a fraud’: Left Forum debates next steps for Sanders movement" (2016-05-21, rt.com) [archive.is/CP8dm]
* "Sanders defends unconstitutional war in Syria, backs Obama's 'Kill List' " (2016-05-27, voicesofliberty.com) [archive.is/6W4NZ]
* "Presidential Debate Com. Co-Chairman Requests Polling Firms Include Gary Johnson" (2016-05-12, alibertarianfuture.com) [archive.is/mggQn]. Comment: This is big news polling at 11% is a big deal. Because it only takes 15% in National polls for the candidate to be able to get on the presidential debate. This could easily turn into a 3-way election there are enough disenfranchised voters on both sides. This is one of the few opportunities we are going to get it. If you want to see the two party system end go vote in online polls. Gary Johnson into the national debates
* "Major Political Shift, The End Of The Libertarian Party" (2016-05-30, WeAreChange) [youtube.com/watch?v=uBjBQfi_fRk]: In this video Luke Rudkowski goes to the 2016 Libertarian national convention in Orlando Florida and documents what he see's. Many libertarians are feeling disenfranchised from the convention since two former republican governors with ties to the Koch brothers won the nomination after a contested convention. We go over all the details of what transpired and the behind the scenes political moves for the 2016 presidential election.
* "Bad News for Gun Owning Libertarians: Johnson’s VP Choice is Pro-Gun Control" (2016-05-22, thetruthaboutguns.com) [archive.is/Gny7U]
* "Gary Johnson Shoots Himself in the Foot: Throws Out Austin Petersen’s Gun" (2016-05-30, libertyhangout.org) [archive.is/1Qfuu]: Earlier this evening, Gary Johnson was elected to be the Libertarian Party presidential nominee, achieving a 50% tally in the second ballot and securing his second straight LP nomination. Austin Petersen and John McAfee put up good fights, but weren’t able to attain enough votes necessary to win the nomination, coming in 2nd and 3rd respectively.
McAfee neglected to endorse Gary Johnson, but Austin Petersen made it clear from the beginning of his campaign that he would endorse whichever candidate the LP elected. While Petersen and Gary often had testy moments with each other in the debates, Austin stood by his word by endorsing Johnson after he won the candidacy.
As a token of good faith, Austin gave Johnson a replica of George Washington’s flintlock pistol, to let him know that he has Austin’s full support in the general election. Tearing up on the front stage of the convention floor, Austin said to Gary as he presented him with the pistol, “You have my sword, and you have my gun.”
Hours later, a number of delegates were reporting on social media that Johnson was seen tossing Austin’s pistol in the garbage. A husband and wife witnessed Johnson throwing out the pistol and retrieved it from the garbage (photo) [archive.is/gzZrP]. The pistol has since been returned to Austin Petersen and remains in his possession (screengrabs) [archive.is/NOF0o] [archive.is/rjkC7], (photo) [archive.is/AZ0NI].
This story has been verified by numerous delegates at the convention, as well as a state coordinator for Austin Petersen. Entrepreneur and tech expert Israel Anderson was present in Austin’s hospitality suite when the gun was returned and can also confirm this story. The story has also been confirmed by libertarian talk show host Jason Stapleton [archive.is/slZDO].
Why do "politics" turn off voters?
* "Statements by Californian Senator Candidates Graded by a Concerned Citizen" (2016-05-03, viralnetics.com) page 1 [archive.is/1W7zY], page 2 [archive.is/5Ob5A] [begin excerpt]:
Imgur user jamesrobcole took to statements made by Californian senator candidates and posted grammatical and other corrections (along with a commentary). It proves what most of us already know: political candidates are usually brainless idiots. U.S politics, in particular, and by global standards, seems to attract a particular breed of moron. [...]
Paul Merritt -
For someone who claims to have two law degrees, Paul appears to have never read the English language.
USA FASCISM: State Media Watch
Documenting propaganda issued by the monopolist media and members of the state security regime that uphold the economic dictatorship, imperialist wars, and the "New Jim Crow" regime [mediamatters.org]
* "The Danger of Demonization: As the West is sucked deeper into the Syrian conflict and starts a new Cold War with Russia, the mainstream news media has collapsed as a vehicle for reliable information, creating a danger for the world" (2016-05-17, by Robert Parry, consortiumnews.com) [archive.is/j0P3V]
* "US Media and Indian Country Media: Billionaires and Fraud at Core of News; Billionaires take control of mainstream news, while big money, fraud and plagiarism infect Indian country news" (2016-05-27, bsnorrell.blogspot.com) [archive.is/j7vMf]
As it is in the UKGB, so it is in the USA when creating propaganda...
* "Guardian admits its reporter fabricated interviews" (2016-05-27, rt.com) [archive.is/rDv2w]
USA FASCISM: Artificial Poverty and Starvation
* "Too Poor To Make Bail? They’ll Cage You For That: Lawsuit Exposes Horrors Of The US InJustice System" (2016-05-26, by Lily Dane) [archive.is/ujA6U]
* "Minimum Wage Workers Can’t Afford Rent Anywhere In The Country" (2016-05-26, thinkprogress.org) [archive.is/M94S9]
Socialist Healthcare system V/S Capitalist Healthcare system
WORLD FASCISM WATCH
Documenting the global economic dictatorship
* "STOP TPP: YOU! …Are The 'Technical Barrier To Trade [Greed]' " (2016-05-19, by Brett Redmayne-Titley) [archive.is/ISFCs]
* "Monsanto Threatens Argentina Over Recent Food Inspection Decision" (2016-05-20, Brandon Turbeville) [archive.is/2wZyU]
* "Scrooge Yellen: Why Does the Fed Chair Need to Speak at the Start of Memorial Day Weekend?" (2016-05-27, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/Dus5W] [begin excerpt]: The comments from the current and former U.S. central bankers come just one day after the International Monetary Fund (IMF) stunned economists worldwide with an article in its flagship magazine under the title: “Neoliberalism: Oversold?” [archive.is/Kg0A0] which appeared to be hurling an insult directly at the U.S.
The word “neoliberalism” has increasingly become a pejorative term for a rigged economic model that churns out billionaires while leaving the world’s masses in poverty. Naomi Klein quickly Tweeted her take on the article, writing: “IMF admits neoliberalism is a failure. So all the billionaires it created are going to give back their money, right?”
The article, authored by lead writer, Jonathan Ostry, Deputy Director of the IMF’s research department, along with Prakash Loungani and Davide Furceri, sets up its own definition of neoliberalism this way: “The neoliberal agenda—a label used more by critics than by the architects of the policies — rests on two main planks. The first is increased competition — achieved through deregulation and the opening up of domestic markets, including financial markets, to foreign competition. The second is a smaller role for the state, achieved through privatization and limits on the ability of governments to run fiscal deficits and accumulate debt.”
Let’s expand a little on that: what financial deregulation did for the U.S. was to create the largest economic catastrophe in 2008 since the Great Depression of the 1930s, leaving millions of Americans without jobs, wiping out their savings and costing them their homes. As Presidential candidate Senator Bernie Sanders regularly reminds us:
- “There is something profoundly wrong when the top one-tenth of one percent owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent;
- “There is something profoundly wrong when 58 percent of all new income since the Wall Street crash has gone to the top one percent.”
(That, frankly, sounds more like an enforced looting system than an economic model. But we digress.)
The IMF article goes on to tiptoe delicately around the enormity of the failure of neoliberalism, writing:
- “The benefits in terms of increased growth seem fairly difficult to establish when looking at a broad group of countries.
- “The costs in terms of increased inequality are prominent. Such costs epitomize the trade-off between the growth and equity effects of some aspects of the neoliberal agenda.
- “Increased inequality in turn hurts the level and sustainability of growth. Even if growth is the sole or main purpose of the neoliberal agenda, advocates of that agenda still need to pay attention to the distributional effects.”
The best way to understand what’s going on today is to watch the trailer for the Robert Reich documentary, “Inequality for All,” that we’ve embedded below. It’s not a coincidence that the two greatest periods of income inequality in America occurred in 1928 and 2007 – just on the eve of the two greatest Wall Street crashes in history: 1929 and 2008. In both periods, giant Wall Street banks were allowed by their regulators to suck in the savings deposits of the nation and use those deposits to wildly speculate in stocks and derivatives and drive the markets into an unsustainable bubble. The tricks used by the Wall Street insiders made them billionaires as the rest of the country paid the price. We are still paying the price as today’s GDP number makes clear. [end excerpt]
* "Carnegie Mellon Transparency Reports Make AI Decision-Making Accountable" (2016-05-26, cylab.cmu.edu) [archive.is/WAr8o] [begin excerpt]: achine-learning algorithms increasingly make decisions about credit, medical diagnoses, personalized recommendations, advertising and job opportunities, among other things, but exactly how usually remains a mystery. Now, new measurement methods developed by Carnegie Mellon University researchers could provide important insights to this process.
Was it a person's age, gender or education level that had the most influence on a decision? Was it a particular combination of factors? CMU's Quantitative Input Influence (QII) measures can provide the relative weight of each factor in the final decision, said Anupam Datta, associate professor of computer science and electrical and computer engineering.
"Demands for algorithmic transparency are increasing as the use of algorithmic decision-making systems grows and as people realize the potential of these systems to introduce or perpetuate racial or sex discrimination or other social harms," Datta said.
"Some companies are already beginning to provide transparency reports, but work on the computational foundations for these reports has been limited," he continued. "Our goal was to develop measures of the degree of influence of each factor considered by a system, which could be used to generate transparency reports."
These reports might be generated in response to a particular incident — why an individual's loan application was rejected, or why police targeted an individual for scrutiny, or what prompted a particular medical diagnosis or treatment. Or they might be used proactively by an organization to see if an artificial intelligence system is working as desired, or by a regulatory agency to see whether a decision-making system inappropriately discriminated between groups of people. [end excerpt]
* "Great Barrier Reef: UN report lead author 'shocked' all Australian references removed Draft chapter warned reef was ‘poor and deteriorating’ but all references were excised following government intervention; Australia scrubbed from UN climate change report after government intervention" (2016-05-27, theguardian.com) [archive.is/sqrcr] [begin excerpt]: The lead author of a major UN report on climate change has expressed his shock that every reference to Australia was removed from the final version, following intervention from the Australian government.
Guardian Australia on Friday revealed that chapters on the Great Barrier Reef and sections on Kakadu and Tasmanian forests were removed from the World Heritage and Tourism in a Changing Climate report, following the Australian Department of Environment’s objection that the information could harm tourism.
The Union of Concerned Scientists, which jointly published the report with the United Nations environment program and Unesco, published an independent statement on the reef this morning.
“The biggest threat to the GBR today, and to its ecosystems services, biodiversity, heritage values and tourism economy, is climate change, including warming sea temperatures, accelerating rates of sea level rise, changing weather patterns and ocean acidification.” [end excerpt]
information collected by the
SOLANO PEACE, JUSTICE, AND FREEDOM COALITION
[SolanoPeaceJustice.blogspot.com], for justice, dignity and human rights, and an end to the USA's endless wars, in harmony with Principle 1 & 6 of International Law [archive.is/tmncz], the 5 protocols of the Convention on Conventional Weapons (CCW) [archive.is/LhUTj], and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights [archive.is/U1Ota].
* "Peace Fresno Memorial Day event" (posted 2016-05-30, by Mike Rhodes): David Swanson and Cindy Sheehan spoke about peace at this Memorial Day event held in Fresno. This is a 15:10 minute audio of Swanson’s opening remarks. (.mp3) [is.gd/edBqgd]
* "Roscosmos: Int'l Space Cooperation Strongest in Times of Political Crises; Scientists from different states involved in space exploration tend to work more closely together when politicians fail to set aside their differences, a Roscosmos space agency executive in charge of manned missions Sergei Krikalev said" (2016-05-23, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/2TeBl]
* "Politicians Determined to Kill the US-Russian Space Joint Venture" (2016-03-14, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/iw9LK]
* "Why US Does Not Need to Abandon Russian-Made RD-180 Engines; American hawks, like Senator John McCain, are determined to put an end to a successful partnership that has seen Russia's reliable and powerful RD-180 engines propel US payloads to space on the Altas V rockets, but there is no need to follow their lead, Todd Harrison wrote for Defense One" (2016-05-21, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/YpRud]
* "The US has a law to stop NASA from working with China, and scientists hate it" (2015-11-16, dailynews.com) [archive.is/SgXir]
* "Reject Censorship at Conference on Refugees" petition [is.gd/8aR7Zy], attached video [youtu.be/0-ZsXQvSLp4]: All voices should be welcome at the “Crossing Borders” conference on refugees, 7-10 July 2016, organized by the Cooperative Institute for Transnational Studies (CITS) in collaboration with the University of the Aegean, and taking place on the Greek island of Lesbos. The organizers say “Today, ‘the West’ is facing the worst crisis of human dispossession since the aftermath of the Second World War. ....These urgent questions and conditions necessitate that radical activists, artists, politicians, refugees, scholars and students gather, discuss and debate.”
Unfortunately the organizers have been pressured to censor discussion and debate. A campaign was launched to disinvite keynote speaker Dr. Tim Anderson (University of Sydney). His book “The Dirty War on Syria” exposes the role of the USA and its allies in destabilizing Syria, funding and promoting the conflict that has led to the current refugee crisis. As they have in the past, some groups and individuals who support the armed opposition in Syria are trying to prevent a broader discussion.
Whatever our views about Anderson or any of the other speakers, it is wrong to silence an important voice at the conference, and especially one that expresses a repressed viewpoint. We should always be concerned when someone tries to prevent us from hearing an alternative explanation.
The advocates of censorship have said that they will ask other speakers to withdraw if Anderson is allowed to speak. That is their right. Speakers are free not to speak. But for the organizers to withdraw an invitation to a confirmed speaker is to remove that speaker’s right as well as the right of the attendees to hear him.
We call on the organizers of the conference to reject censorship and encourage open discussion and debate on the causes of dispossession and destruction leading to migration. It is essential for the conference to include voices like Dr. Tim Anderson’s and to consider the responsibility of the USA and its allies in the destruction of Syria and creation of the refugee crisis.
* "Imperialism’s Junior Partners" (2016-05-27, counterpunch.org) [archive.is/Td5G8] [begin excerpt]: [end excerpt]
* "Iraqi government formed in 2003 was fully controlled by US – Iraq’s former defense minister to RT" (2016-05-26, rt.com) [archive.is/vF0LG]: The Iraqi government, formed in 2003 after Saddam Hussein’s regime had been overthrown by the US invasion, was fully controlled by “inspectors” from the United States and its allies, a former Iraqi Defense Minister, Hazem Shaalan, told RT.
“I was not independent in my ministry,” Shaalan said. “Inside the ministry, there were American inspectors in each department. There were also the British and Australians. There was not a single one department in the ministry, where there would be no inspectors.”
The former defense minister also revealed that the first post-Saddam Iraqi government was not elected but instead was fully appointed by Washington.
Interim Prime Minister of Iraq Ayad Allawi, who held office from 2003 to 2005, was “among the first to be appointed [by the US]. We were all appointed by Americans, by [Lewis Paul ] Bremer [top civilian administrator of the Coalition Provisional Authority of Iraq]. The first [post-Saddam] Iraqi government was appointed directly by Bremer,” Shaalan said adding that “no elections were held.”
The former minister also emphasized that all decisions taken by the prime minister at the time required approval by US authorities. At the same time, this government was protected by the US authorities, he added.
“Those, who were working with Americans, were relieved from responsibility for any faults in their work,” Shaalan said during the interview.
According to Shaalan, the US did not inform the Iraqi government of the Iraqi citizens who had been taken to Iraq’s prisons and tortured by US forces. “We were not told about this. We were not even allowed to come to the prisons without special permission from the US authorities,” he said.
The former Iraqi defense minister also stressed that the US presence in Iraq brought no stability and no security as well as no prosperity and well-being to the country.
Shaalan said at first Iraqis were excited by the idea of Americans helping them build democracy.
“However, we were shocked, when total destruction began – destruction of infrastructure, of buildings, etc. When we asked Americans, why they do that, we were told that, after destruction, there will be rebuilding. “We will rebuild everything and it will be better than before,” they said. Those were the promises. They have never been fulfilled,” the former defense minister told RT.
The US and its allies invaded Iraq in 2003 claiming that Saddam Hussein’s regime possessed weapons of mass destruction, although no such weapon have since been found. The forces which toppled Hussein’s regime provoked a prolonged conflict in Iraq involving sectarian violence between Shias and Sunnis as well as a lengthy insurgency against the US and its coalition forces.
The US forces officially withdrew from Iraq in 2011, although the US still had a significant military contingent of more than 20,000 personnel in the country, including the US Marine Embassy Guards and between 4,000 and 5,000 private military contractors.
The US became re-involved in 2014as the head of the international coalition fighting Islamic State (IS, former ISIS/ISIL) terrorist group which gained a foothold in the northern regions of the country.
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
* "A Year Ago, I Crossed the DMZ in Korea. Here’s Why. Until women get a place in the peace process, we'll take our calls for an end to the Korean War to public streets all over the globe — and even across the DMZ" (2016-05-24, fpif.org) [archive.is/AXe6R], photo caption: Women Cross the DMZ
* " 'It keeps happening,' rape survivor says as activists protest abuse by US military in Japan" (2016-05-21, rt.com) [archive.is/OPy4p]
* "Sexual violence: Behind the war... rape" (Alternative Libertaire AL #260) machine translation [archive.is/giRpD]: In Kivu region in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), tens of thousands of women were raped and mutilated. The violence continues and now affect girls and babies. A sadly common example of the use of rape as a weapon of war, highlighted by the figure of a doctor that "restores women." ---- The film The Man Who repairs the women currently on screens (large cities and not for long) recounts the work of Denis Mukwege, a Congolese gynecologist who operates and tries to repair organs mutilated women. ---- Since 1994 and the arrival of the Rwandan genocide, militias and armed forces clash on this field. Lulls, peace agreements and demobilization succeed and it is still not peace. Rapes have never stopped even if Dr. Mukwege has seen a recent decline in arrivals in his clinic. Armed militias and fought (also) for access to the wealth of the subsoil of this region contains, among other cassiterite and coltan, essential components of electronic devices and especially our mobile phones.
The responsibility of rich countries' enterprises is not clearly established (but we only lend to the rich...) in the looting and violence that they induce. It seems a little cleaning is done in the traceability of the origin of the metals and the prohibition to supply the black market in war zones. But it's like the pig turned into France who leaves "made in France", the metal can be "made in China" after a trip.
Figures are uncertain but more than 200 000 women were abused since 1998. Peace has never been established, armed militia réattaquées in January. Rapes do not start, they never stopped. Rape is a weapon of war intended to traumatize and do from the people. But new horror in recent years: very young girls, and babies are raped. Even in zones of peace. If some certain and explain these facts by the ancient belief that if a man lie with a virgin, he will be rich, the explanation is more rational. Child soldiers, soldiers, demobilized militiamen are found in civilian life with insufficient counseling and lived and exercised violence leads them to commit atrocities. When there are (too rare) arrests, he (too many) acquittals. Congolese soldiers of the UN forces in CAR have been sent home after several rapes.
Demolish and to terrorize -
Excerpts from an article in Le Monde, July 16, 2013 are eloquent: "It violates the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). Women, girls and babies recently. collectively are violated in public, to demolish and to terrorize. For days, sometimes for months before shooting itself in the vaginas or lacerate the blows of razor blades, fill the salt, burning rubber or caustic soda, to dump the fuel and set it on fire. There are less than three weeks, a little girl of 18 months he (the surgeon since filmed) was made, the exploded genitalia. New babies arrived in the state since January (ie between January and July 2013), 36 children under 10 years. "
If rich countries are concerned about the carbon footprint of travel, which is concerned the balance sheet in suffering women of our consumer goods?
* "How Russia Is Preparing for WWIII" (2016-05-26, unz.com) [archive.is/YFD8E]
* "US Navy SEALs Training in Bulgaria to Storm Russia's Crimea; Russian military analyst Sergei Ishchenko comments on the US military's apparent plans to increase their presence on the Black Sea coast of Bulgaria, and the possible threat to the Crimean peninsula this may pose" (2016-05-25, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/lomHl]
Weapons for a New World Order
* "Elon Musk Funds $1B Project To Stop Human Destruction From “Demon” Of Artificial Intelligence" (2016-05-20, by Brianna Blaschke) [archive.is/I9DdI]
* "Photons as Passwords: New Security System Can Match Quantum Computers" (2016-05-26, futurism.com) [archive.is/VlM3R] attached video [https://youtu.be/cWpqlgF7uEA]
* "Top-down design brings new DNA structures to life" (2016-05-26, biodesign.asu.edu) [archive.is/wODVp]
* "Scientists Find a Better Way to Make Structures to Create DNA Based Tech; Researchers have designed a new algorithm that automates the manipulation and sculpting of DNA into different shapes—a process known as DNA origami" (2016-05-27, futurism.com, with MIT, Arizona State University, and Baylor University) [archive.is/wqC7K], illustration caption: Digital rendering of the diverse DNA structures autonomously designed by the DAEDALUS algorithm. Credit: Digizyme
* "Railgun pulse power modules delivered to U.S. Navy" (2016-05-24, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/V1AbL]
* "Loitering, lethal airborne system for U.S. Army on way" (2016-05-27, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/kxezm]
* "U.S. evaluates new Tether Eye ISR platform" (2016-05-23, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/Vf6Y2] [begin excerpt]: A tethered unmanned aerial system by AeroVironment for intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance use is being evaluated by the U.S. military.
The evaluation of Tether Eye is being conducted by the United States Combating Terrorism Technical Support Office, which funded the system's development program.
Tether Eye is a day/night surveillance platform that deploys automatically from a small, weather-sealed, self-contained base station and ascends to a pre-determined hover altitude -- as much as 150 feet -- from where viewers of its video feed take advantage of its 360-degree field of view. Its specially designed tether provides continuous power for uninterrupted long-term operation. [end excerpt]
* "Google Has A Patent For A Surgically Implanted Eyeball Camera" (2016-05-19, by Joshua Krause) [archive.is/TzTMN]
* "Computing a secret, unbreakable key" (2016-05-20, uwaterloo.ca) [archive.is/eNIAX] [begin excerpt]: What once took months by some of the world’s leading scientists can now be done in seconds by undergraduate students thanks to software developed at the University of Waterloo’s Institute for Quantum Computing (IQC), paving the way for fast, secure quantum communication. [end excerpt]
Articles reflecting the views of war planners
* "Go Big or Go Home: Applying the full force of the U.S. National Security apparatus" (2016-05-20, by Matthew Wein, warontherocks.com) [archive.is/2E7OG]
* "#NATSEC2016: Concerns about the foreign policies of the top candidates" (2016-05-19, by Alex Ward, warontherocks.com) [archive.is/Lb6kM]
Northbay Uprising FM Radio News is broadcast courtesy of 89.5 FM-KZCT [OzcatRadio.com]
On Ozcat Radio, tune-in online [is.gd/kJ1EUt] for:
- The Stranger News, broadcast Thursdays, 5 to 5:30pm, featuring latest in science, technology, space, and cutting-edge research on the mind, world history, and entheogenics!
- The Northbay UpRising Morningshow, broadcast Tuesdays, 7 to 9am, with local news, and topics on Peace, the Ecology, Do-It-Yourself ideas, and Communitarianism!
- KBBF Weekly News, broadcast Tuesdays at 8:45pm, on the Northbay UpRising morningshow!
- The Ozcat Roundtable, a topical news program broadcast Wednesdays, 3 to 6pm, with hosts Billy I. (pictured), Jeremy, and the Nomad!