The managers of 89.5FM KZCT, their associates, and sponsors, are not to be held liable for the information and commentary provided by the Northbay Uprising Radio News, produced by the Northbay Movement for a Democratic Society, as a non-partisan research and education project.
Stories are reviewed and provided by Northbay MDS Committees.
"Participatory Budgeting means a lot to the People of Vallejo" by Ravi Shankar [ibvallejo.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1932&Itemid=1]
from Student Power! solidarity committee:* Black Recent Grads Hardest Hit by the Great Recession [link]
* Report from Occupy Chico! [facebook.com/groups/OccupyChico]: 5 of us showed up. The same 5. We had consensus about giving up the loot donated to Occupy and that had been sitting. We are gifting the bulk to our out-growth, the Chico Housing Action Team for their critical work finding solutions to housing for our community members on the streets. We are giving some to the Chico Peace and Justice Center which has given Occupy so much support. A small chunk to 100th Monkey Cafe which was also an outgrowth of Occupy and still gives back to the community in ways that cont. to evolve. We also will donate a small amount to the National Occupy gathering in July. The plan is to have a film, maybe pot-luck and G.A. right after the National Occupy and see what energy is available then.
* Occupy National Gathering 2014 will be held July 31 - Aug. 3 in Sacramento, CA.
from Committee to Defend Workers' Rights! [link]:
* Labor Victory at Mills College! [link]
* Abused workers at Walmart's Prima brand organize a National Day of Action for Human Rights [link]
from Bay Area Solidarity Committee [link]:
* Hands Off Yasiin Bey! (formerly Mos Def) [link]
* Activists forced to attend re-education classes as punishment have an opportunity to organize! [link]
* Hands Off Fly Benzo! [link]
from Committee for the Investigation of Civil & Human Rights abuse:
* "Questions Surround Surge in Vallejo Police Shootings" [link]
Personal Prejudice is motivating local police to terrorize and break-up families of medicinal cannabis users -
* "Does medical marijuana equal bad parenting?" by Stephanie Smith from CNN [link]
Cannabis use is safer than alcohol...
* "Is marijuana as safe as -- or safer than -- alcohol" by Jen Christensen and Jacque Wilson, CNN [link]
Cannabis de-criminalization does not lead to more crime...
* Study shows Cannabis usage does not lead to higher incidents of criminal behavior [link]
Incarcerating cannabis users makes the USA look alot like North Korea...
* Texas man incarcerated for life over making some pot brownies [link]
Global Event Against Monsanto with Occupy Sonoma County
Monday, May 26, 3:00 to 8:00 p.m.
GMO Film: GMO Tipping Point Discussion; Potluck
Hootenanny (yes, we are having a square dance!)
Pay-what-you-can plant sale
Sebastopol Grange, 6000 Sebastopol Rd. (Hwy. 12), Sebastopol
Memorial Day Field of Crosses for the Victims of Law Enforcement Violence
Monday, May 26, 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.
Come view the field of crosses bearing the names of those who have been killed by Sonoma County law enforcement or in their custody since 2000. Their names will be recited. A potluck will follow. Please bring something to share.
Sponsored by Andy's Youth and the Emergency Response Committee of JCAL
Andy Lopez Memorial Park, Moorland Ave. and West Robles, Santa Rosa
Gray Panthers celebrate the working class
Wednesday, May 28 at 1:30
North Berkeley Senior Center
1901 Hearst, corner of MLK
Wheelchair Accessible, All welcome.
CELEBRATING LABOR-- The Eight Hour Day and May Day with the Rockin' Solidarity Labor Heritage Chorus. and students, workers, and retirees from all over the Bay Area.
Led by Pat Wynne and Bernie Gilbert, singer/ songwriters of parodies and performance pieces
The Rockin' Solidarity Labor Heritage Chorus.was formed in 1999 from members of the Labor Studies Department of City College of San Francisco and Laney College in Oakland. Members are students, workers, and retirees from all over the Bay Area. Pat Wynne and her spouse Bernie Gilbert are singer/ songwriters who write parodies and performance pieces for Pat to direct with accompaniment from Bernie. The chorus went to Washington DC in 2004 to sing at the Great Labor Arts Exchange, to the Highlander Center in Tennessee in 2007 to sing at the 75th anniversary of its founding, and to Boulder CO. in 2010 to sing on May Day at the Boulder Peace Center.
Celebrate the Life of Andy Lopez on his 14th Birthday!
Saturday, June 7, 11:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Join us in a community march to celebrate Andy's life and call attention to the law enforcement brutality which ended his life. We will begin with music and speeches in the Dollar Tree parking lot on Sebastopol Rd., followed by a march beginning at noon to Courthouse Square in Santa Rosa with a rally to begin at 1:00 p.m.
A community party will be held 5pm at Andy Lopez Memorial Park, Moorland and West Robles, in Santa Rosa.