John Colby's Freedom of Information Campaign against Human Rights abuse in Santa Cruz [link]
* Santa Cruz retaliates against Human Rights advocate John Colby [link]
* Human Rights abuse in itty-bitty Santa Cruz [link]
Note that Sin Barras is generously footing the bill for FOI requests made on their behalf.
2013-06-02 "CPRA request about the (current) operation, management and administration of the Santa Cruz County Jail"
message to Phil Wowak, Sheriff–Coroner at Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office [701 Ocean Street, Suite 340 Santa Cruz, CA 95060]:
Dear Sheriff–Coroner Wowak: I am writing as a member of the activist group Sin Barras to submit a California Public Records Act (CPRA) request. Sin Barras is a grassroots organization based in Santa Cruz, California whose purpose is to — through building community based coalitions — create economically effective and socially just alternatives to what we term the "prison industrial complex". To learn more about Sin Barras, please reference the links below:
This CPRA request is being made to:
* educate the public through the news media about health, safety and social equality issues at the Santa Cruz County Jail.
* protect the civil and human rights of legally protected and oppressed classes incarcerated in the Santa Cruz County Jail.
* make the operation, management and administration of the Santa Cruz County Jail open, transparent and accountable to prisoners, their families and the community.
* facilitate potential county, state and federal government investigations into (systemic) civil rights violations, medical abuse, fraud, program abuse and political corruption.
I ask for:
* the investigative reports, memos, summaries and surveys about inmates who died in the Santa Cruz County Jail in the last year, including but not limited to Christy Ann Sanders, Bradley Gordon Dreher, Brant Monett and Richard Pritchard.
* the most current agreements between the Sheriff's Department, other Santa Cruz County agencies and the California Forensic Medical Group.
* the most current funding records for medical care at the Santa Cruz County Jail.
* the most current policies and protocols about detoxification, denial of medicines, denial of medical and psychiatric care, and provision of medical and psychiatric care at the Santa Cruz County Jail.
* the most current budget and allocation records detailing how funds, staff hours, and staff assignments have been made in the last year at the Santa Cruz County Jail.
* the most current records which describe who operates, manages and administers the Santa Cruz County Jail as well as descriptions of their job duties, their professional biographies and their contact information.
* if you determine that any or all or the information qualifies for an exemption from disclosure, to note whether, as is normally the case under the Act, whether the exemption is discretionary, and if so whether it is necessary in this case to exercise your discretion to withhold the information.
* in case you decide that any of the information is exempt, please explain how the interest in not disclosing the information outweighs the public interest in disclosing it.
* in case you decide that any responsive records are exempt from disclosure please list them and the claimed exemptions for me so that I may exercise my due process rights in disputing the exemption and otherwise exercise my rights under the CPRA administratively or in a court of law.
* if you determine that some but not all of the information is exempt from disclosure and that you intend to withhold it, that you redact it for the time being and make the rest available as requested.
* if there is any information in these records which is private and you decide it is exempt information, yet it is in an otherwise disclosable document, please segregate the private information by redacting it while providing me the rest of the unredacted record.
* if these documents are available in an electronic format such as Portable Document Format (PDF), eXtensible Style Language (XLS), eXtensible Markup Language (XML), Hypertext Markup (HTM), MS Powerpoint Presentation (PPT), MS Word Document (DOC), Rich Text Format (RTF), plain electronic text (TXT), native email formats — like AOL for Windows, Apple Mail, Claris Emailer, Compuserve, EML, Entourage, Eudora, Maildir, MBOX File, Mulberry, Neoplanet, Outlook, Outlook Express, Outspring, Powertalk, Quickmail Pro, Thunderbird, Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail, Yahoo Archive! — or as hyperlinks to the Internet that they be provided to me in one of those forms, preferably in their native form.
I am willing to pay a fee of up to $150 for this request. If you estimate the cost of completing this request will exceed that amount, please contact me first before completing it with a fee estimate. If this request would entail special searches which would incur search fees to me, please contact me first with a fee estimate.
I ask that: Because this information will be shared with the news media, state and federal agencies, and state and federal legislatures, that any applicable search, retrieval and redaction fees for this CPRA request be waived in the public interest, to show the government and the news media that you are serious about open, transparent and accountable operation, management and administration of the Santa Cruz County Jail.
Thank you for your assistance in protecting the civil rights of disabled people in the County of Santa Cruz. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this request, please contact me with them. Thank you for fulfilling this request.
Sincerely yours, [signed] John E. Colby, Ph.D.
2013-06-11 "CPRA request regarding county jail"
reply from Carla Rittue, Records Supervisor Santa Cruz County Sheriff-Coroner [701 Ocean St. Rm 340 Santa Cruz, CA 95060]:
Mr. Colby, Attached are links to the CFMG contract and the County 2012-2013 budget. These are also available on the Santa Cruz County website. The CFMG contract contains the protocol for detoxification treatment on pages 14 and 15.
* CFMG contract - [sccounty01.co.santa-cruz.ca.us/Bds/Govstream/Bdsvdata/non_legacy/minutes/2012/20120814/pdf/017.pdf]
* County budget - [sccounty01.co.santa-cruz.ca.us/AuditorBudget/2012-2013/County_Budget_Table_of_Contents.pdf]
Thank you, [signed] Carla Rittue